HybridZ

California regulations

NgoZ

Thinking about taking a job in California. Was wondering about how to handle my Z. If I remember there are some restrictions on vehicles especially older modified ones. I have a 1978 280z with an LS currently. If anyone could point me in the right direction or have experience with the process, it would be a great help.

The smog cert is going to be the issue, since even though it may pass the actual emmisions test, you're required to keep all the same emmission components that came with the engine (if you took it from an F body or something). I don't know if that's different when you buy a crate engine. 

Are you military? because then you wouldn't need to register it in the state of CA. 

What if you leave it registered in La? Change your address to a family members at the DMV so they can get the sticker for the plates for you, as you can do all the renewal stuff online. I know there's a Pagani, 2 Ferarri's, and a McLaren around here, and they are all registered in Montana so the owners can avoid taxes here. If they can do it, there must be some kind of loophole.

What if you leave it registered in La? Change your address to a family members at the DMV so they can get the sticker for the plates for you, as you can do all the renewal stuff online. I know there's a Pagani, 2 Ferarri's, and a McLaren around here, and they are all registered in Montana so the owners can avoid taxes here. If they can do it, there must be some kind of loophole.

That works until you get in an accident or the car is stolen and your insurance company wonders why your car is insured in a state where you don't live and you've probably been paying lower rates than if it was registered in CA.  Many hoops to jump through to be successfully devious.  :D

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

There is a smog forum for california legalities.

Guys with supercars usually have the means to not worry about a $1,000 deductible. In the Datsun world, most of these owners are one paycheck away from selling the project to make rent or eat so playing fast and loose with insurance than can say "denied" and not even pay out $2,500 for a decent replacement junker to roll in and get to work can suck bigtime.

Yeah, you can get a 'garaging address' where they don't do smogs, and send all your documents to that address (CA plate renewal, new registrations and stickers, etc...) but for all that matter if you are circumventing the law why the hell would you want to pay CA prices for essentially saying the car is in LA? May as well retain the LA plates until MADE to change them. Insure it there, register it there.... all depends if your job needs you to have a CA license or not.