HybridZ

Project Binkey

Derek

I love how they use basic hand tools. It makes me pause for a second and say to myself "whats your problem? You have a grinder."... in a good way. 

I wish they would show more engineering/design time and even more layout and fab technique. I understand why they don't, that probably wouldn't be palatable for the larger audience. But i say, more tech! 

The last bracket they fabbed out of a piece of square tube really got me re-imaging what to do with tubing. 

Okay, I'm hooked now, those guys are some talented fabricators.

6 hours ago, LLave said:

I wish they would show more engineering/design time and even more layout and fab technique. I understand why they don't, that probably wouldn't be palatable for the larger audience. But i say, more tech! 

ditto,  I would watch it in real time with no music and no fast forwards, just the work.

I think the original mini was approximately 1,400. I bet Binkey is under 2,000. I know they are adding a lot of creature comforts and even silly motorized bits. Side note, I really didn't think that motorized hood lift was a good fit for the project, but I am sure it impresses the masses (and brings them views). So I guess I get it.  

On 10/25/2017 at 4:37 PM, LLave said:

I think the original mini was approximately 1,400. I bet Binkey is under 2,000. I know they are adding a lot of creature comforts and even silly motorized bits. Side note, I really didn't think that motorized hood lift was a good fit for the project, but I am sure it impresses the masses (and brings them views). So I guess I get it.  

I don't think that was for the masses. If it was, they would have shown how they built it. I think Nik just really wants a motorized flip front, and since this is his ridiculous project he's going to do it exactly like he wants. It would be a shame to spend a couple thousand hours on something and then think, "I wish I had..." every time you look at it.

1 hour ago, calZ said:

I don't think that was for the masses. If it was, they would have shown how they built it. I think Nik just really wants a motorized flip front, and since this is his ridiculous project he's going to do it exactly like he wants. It would be a shame to spend a couple thousand hours on something and then think, "I wish I had..." every time you look at it.

The other issue, is what are they going to do when the fabrication is finished? If they keep adding things like the flip front, they can keep going and going ;) 

They definitely have inspired my builds.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...