HybridZ

Front calipers on the rear

I'm looking at piecing together a brake setup and was wondering if anyone has tried it. I was thinking of going with the Toyota 4x4 calipers on the front and dual front calipers on the rear (one for the foot brake and one for the handbrake). Budget is really the only reason this came to mind. There are plenty of lighter 2 piston calipers out there, but how many can be had for under $50 each.

They're not going to be equal front to rear, He wants a 4 piston up front (area is listed on silvermine motors website) and a single 2 piston for regular driving, along with another single piston that is used only for ebrake capability. 

There has been a write up of this (minus the ebrake function) and aside from having custom rotors and brackets made, it's almost cheaper to go with a wilwood kit for something out fo the box that fits. 

My thought was that with a spacer, I may be able to use a front rotor for the rear or one if the other options that people use (280zx or something). I can mill my own brackets, so that's not a big deal. The issue with the Wilwoods is that they don't have dust boots which poses a problem for racing in dirt. I'm looking at other caliper setups too. I'm mainly trying to peace something that will work for a while until I eventually get a better setup (eyeing the AP racing calipers from Essex). My rear drum setup is basically trash after sitting for 30 years and I don't really feel like rebuilding it. Regarding balance, I'm using a Tilton floor mounted pedal box and balance bar setup. The chassis and the r200 are really the only parts of this car that will still be Datsun.

• 4 weeks later...

We had to rebuild the rear quarter panels on the current car so they might have a little flare in them but much less than a zg. Car has 15x7 with 0 offset wheels, 225/50 tires,  and they just barely fit without rubbing.  Actual total spacing is 0.337 for rotor and 0.5 for wheel spacer sitting on top = 0.837" on each side.  We did fit checks with big nuts and washers on the wheel studs and lowering the coil over springs to make sure everything would fit, and it was close. 

Here are some pics without the wheel spacer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150831472@N06/shares/9k9HXv