HybridZ

Largest engine able to go into 240/280z?

I'm new to these cars and I'm not trying to piss off any enthusiast but what is the largest engine swap possible or that has been done by someone? The reason I ask is because I have a 440 BB six pack and it needs a home and I thought it would be different to swap into a 240/280z but can it be done? Not worried about the work I'm pretty mechanicallly inclined

Your limiting factor is probably gonna be the height of the engine. The S30 engine bay is very long and quite wide. A V12 can fit in the engine bay. But, it's not extremely tall. You may have to do a custom hood depending on how tall the block is.

post-684-144023684885.jpg

This picture might help if you're looking for a general idea of how big of a box you can fit in the engine bay.

Of course you might have issues with steering and brake master cylinder interference, but that you probably won't know for sure until you put the engine in there, or put a mock up of it in there.

Edited by Neverdone

Your limiting factor is probably gonna be the height of the engine. The S30 engine bay is very long and quite wide. A V12 can fit in the engine bay. But, it's not extremely tall. You may have to do a custom hood depending on how tall the block is.

post-684-144023684885.jpg

This picture might help if you're looking for a general idea of how big of a box you can fit in the engine bay.

Of course you might have issues with steering and brake master cylinder interference, but that you probably won't know for sure until you put the engine in there, or put a mock up of it in there.

Thanks for the pic and the help! I'm not sure how tall it will be, trying to get ahold of braap but I'll be going with fuel injection so hopefully I can find a low profile intake of sort. And still prolly do a custom hood but not like braaps if I can get away with it

You'll also have to think about front to back weight ratio, a very heavy front weighted car doesn't handle as well as a something more balanced, also with that kind of power you will have to add some reinforcing and stiffening to the chassis to keep from twisting that poor old light weight frame. As said above, you can shoehorn in practically anything but thinking of the car as a whole finished unit, as a package, will help you end up with a car that is versatile, fun to drive and powerful.

• 3 months later...