HybridZ

280z dual duty brake setup suggestions

Hi, i am currently building my 280z V8 LS dual duty car and i would like to see what other track junkies use for brake setups.

I know most of the kits availlable, but my concern is that most of them use proprietary rotors or oem rotors that must be modified.

Is there any good setup that would use on the shelf rotors?

I know the toyota pickup vented setup do but i am wondering if it can really handle track duties....

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Interested too. Someone will point to the FAQ thread (http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/39435-help-what-brake-options-are-available-for-s30-z-cars/). But it was started in 2005 and is out-of-date.  Silver Mine has a bunch of options now, for example, and solid reviews from experience are tough to sort out.

But clarify your requirements. You talking about road racing "track"? 20 minute sessions, concern over fade, etc.?  I've been using the stock brakes with Motul and Porterfield R4S pads at track days - but I still have to bleed between sessions or can lose a lot of bite. Also think the pedal feel with stock drums is wooden and requires frequent fussy adjustments. Like the idea of rear discs providing better feel and power.

Edited by Zipper

Yess i saw this thread and many others...

It would be 20-25 min sessions on a pretty fast track with a couple of hard braking zones.....with the v8 i highly doubt the stock setup would be adequate....i think rear disks would be mandatory too....

With my e36 track car i just buy cheap plain chineese rotors from the local auto parts store and throw them in garbage when they are done....its cheap and i can get rotors easily as needed....

...what is your concern?

The silvermine kits use a OEM style rotor which you could probably pick up from a parts store. The TTT kit uses a hat/rotor setup and you can pickup replacement rotors for around $40 a piece, Brembo blanks used to run about $40 for my daily driver so pretty comparable I think. 

The few people I know who run a lot of track days don't replace rotors all that often. Granted they don't trailer their cars either so they tend to run street style pads which probably don't adversely affect rotor life as a harsher pad would. 

Silvermine wilwood kits use modified sentra rotors if im not mistaken. Not something you can buy at your local auto parts....

Track season is short over here so i want to limit downtime as much as possible....i guess i just have to keep spare rotors in my garage....

And i dont like those fancy drilled rotors....blank rotors works best for me....arizona z car seems to have a great setup.....

It's an STI rotor with a different pattern according to their website.

I mean what are you doing to your rotors? Or are you running metallic compounds? I've never really heard of anyone being too concerned about the rotor to your extent before.

I'm with you on the drilled rotors. You can get rotors in blank form TTT offers it as on option if you get their kit, I can't imagine silvermine would not. 

We've had glowing rotors after drives, still don't find them cracked or anything

Dont get me wrong, i dont change my rotors that often, not even once a year with some track use.

But when i have to, its nice to have some replacements availlable locally, epecially during a driving event that you have paid for...

Its sucks to have to end your day or weekend because of warped/cracked rotors...

I kind of understand where you are coming from. Personally I plan on having a spare engine and transmission at some point, but that is due to a sense of ever impending doom and paranoia I happen to have.

Having spares is nice, but the parts aren't unobtanium. You can buy spare rotor sections if you get a two piece kit and spare pads. You probably won't be able to walk into a generic parts store and get them same day for $40 a piece, but you could have a spare set with you if it is something you feel you are going to work through in a year. Given the cost of a track day having a full set of rotors and pads in your parts chest might not be a bad idea. 

Alternatively you can go with the vented rotors and 4runner fronts, granted even those I'm not sure if you could find same day off the shelf. Even rotors for my honda I had to wait a day.

Thanks for the advices, im still looking at different options....

I must take track pads availlability in consideration too....

No problems with wilwood calipers in that department but for the toyota calipers choice is pretty limited....