HybridZ

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

58 minutes ago, lowrider said:

I love how relate able the videos you make are! Like everyone else has said, its something that one of us would be doing with our cars versus a professional shop.

I have also started watching the home built house videos you have made. I absolutely love it! These are similar things that I am doing with my house/want to do in the future and it has given me some awesome ideas. Please keep it up!

Thanks mate. Particularly with the house videos, they are definitely not a how to. They are just the dodgy way I do it ;) . Also your building codes in your part of the world more than likely differ a lot from mine.

In on of your last videos you were talking about warping as a result of heat generated from grinding down mig welds. 

3M makes a 3" grinding wheel specifically designed for grinding mig welds. They are a little pricey but honesty they work amazing. Loud as heck, they make a bit of a mess, but they remove weld very quickly and somehow minimize heat build up. The ones I like are part number 1991. I get them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRLF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have learned that good panel fit-up with a gap about the diameter of my mig wire, results in a stronger flatter weld that takes way less grinding. It's like bondo, put it on clean and you have less to sand off. But also like bondo, it doesn't always go as planned. 

On 10/26/2017 at 5:07 AM, LLave said:

In on of your last videos you were talking about warping as a result of heat generated from grinding down mig welds. 

3M makes a 3" grinding wheel specifically designed for grinding mig welds. They are a little pricey but honesty they work amazing. Loud as heck, they make a bit of a mess, but they remove weld very quickly and somehow minimize heat build up. The ones I like are part number 1991. I get them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRLF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have learned that good panel fit-up with a gap about the diameter of my mig wire, results in a stronger flatter weld that takes way less grinding. It's like bondo, put it on clean and you have less to sand off. But also like bondo, it doesn't always go as planned. 

Those are very interesting. I will have to check them out.

17 hours ago, HuD 91gt said:

Started watching your Porsche series.  Really neat to see you attempt the interior and paint work.  Things I attempt that never work out as well as a professional.  But the pride you get from doing it on your own!   Great job, lots of respect.

'It may not be perfect, but it's Home Built' ;) 

Are my 240Z's doors completely rusted out and junk? They have been covered up with a mountain of bog and paint, so this week I strip them down and see if I can save them.

23 hours ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

Haha, bog is what it is called here in Aus'. No idea where it comes from. I assume 'bondo' is or was a brand name of body filler in the US and has just become the term.

Correct, Bondo is 3M's brand name and became a standard term. I suppose "body filler" is what the pro's call it. Bog is way better. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you open up closed sections of the unibody like the sills and frame rails you'll find that they are most likely covered with surface rust so "rust free" is a relative term when talking about these old Datsuns! :P  I may have missed it but did you do a thorough inspection for rust under the car?  Frame rails and of course, floor pans are common areas for rust.

I'm enjoying the videos! Keep it up!

Cheers,

Ross

• 3 weeks later...