HybridZ

VG30T 88 300zx Turbo: Water Temp Sensor

JSM

The VG30T has 3 water sensors:

• Coolant Temp sensor for the Gauge.
  • Cylinder Head Temp Sensor for the ECU.
  • Water Temp Sensor only on the Turbo model 87, 88 and 89 ??

Oddly on my 88 I don't have one.  Nor does my 88T spare motor I got from a pic and pull.  Yes they are true turbo motors.

Can someone tell me what the Water Temp Sensor on the LH side of the motor behind the distributor  does?  Searched the FSM and google and couldn't find the answer. 

IIRC, They all have 1 water temp. sensor. The stock gauge sender is on the RH side in the lower intake, and has a single spade and rectangular connector. All turbo ones have a temp switch near the water cock for the condenser fan. The ECU only uses the CHTS. The LH side has been plugged on all of mine, but I used and have seen it used for aftermarket gauge senders.

On 11/4/2017 at 9:15 PM, BLOZ UP said:

IIRC, They all have 1 water temp. sensor. The stock gauge sender is on the RH side in the lower intake, and has a single spade and rectangular connector. All turbo ones have a temp switch near the water cock for the condenser fan. The ECU only uses the CHTS. The LH side has been plugged on all of mine, but I used and have seen it used for aftermarket gauge senders.

Thanks Bloz up.

I think I've figured it out. I went through all the 84-89 FSM EFEC sections. For 84-86 the single blade sensor by cylinder #2 was there for the turbo model only injector cooling fan. NA I don't believe had them. 

For the 87-89 cars, there were no injector cooling fans, However, there is mention of a water temp sensor in the Electrical section for use in the digital gauge cluster. No mention for the analog. 

On my 88T car, I have no water temp sensor, nor on my spare motor that came from an 88T car. Both cars have analog dash. On my 89T, I have the water temp sensor and digital dash. 

This all came about from trying to repair the wiring damage from rats. What a PITA! I finished 10 of the 18 wires tonight. 8 more to go!

IMG_0329.JPG