HybridZ

Mishimoto Radiator for 280z?

Has anyone put one of these in a '78 280z yet?

https://www.mishimoto.com/datsun-240z-performance-aluminum-radiator-70-73.html

It looks like a pretty close fit to me, but when I asked, Mishimoto said it's only compatible with the L24/L26 engines. However, on this site (https://whiteheadperformance.com/product/mishimoto-performance-aluminum-radiator-mmrad-dats-70-datsun-240z-260z-280z/), it says otherwise.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's the engine as much as it is the chassis. The lower part of the radiator support is different on 280Zs vs 240Zs. I don't believe a 280Z radiator will fit in a 240Z (I think I tried this once), I'm not sure about the reverse, haven't tried it. I would expect it to physically fit (no guarantee), but bolt holes may be different.

Hey!  I've got experience on this topic.

I've got a '77 280Z, you can use the radiator out of any other S30 in 280Z's.  I was using a stock 240Z radiator for the past year or so in my car, all you'll need to make it compatible is the 240Z lower rad hose.  Now I'm running a Champion 3-row aluminum radiator meant for the 280Z (with the 280Z lower rad hose) as it seems to perform just as well as a mishimoto for a lot less money!

In summary, the differences are:
-240Z rad is a little shorter than 280Z rad (this means that the 240Z rad will bolt into a 280Z no problem, but putting the larger 280Z in a 240Z involves more work)

-240Z rad has a different lower water outlet, meaning you'll need to use the matching 240Z lower rad hose (the water pump inlet that this hose goes to is in the same location on any L-series motor so as long as the hose matches the rad you'll be fine)

Everything else is basically the same.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:06 PM, rturbo 930 said:

I don't think it's the engine as much as it is the chassis. The lower part of the radiator support is different on 280Zs vs 240Zs. I don't believe a 280Z radiator will fit in a 240Z (I think I tried this once), I'm not sure about the reverse, haven't tried it. I would expect it to physically fit (no guarantee), but bolt holes may be different.

That's what I was thinking as well. I got it ordered so we'll see! Thanks for the input.

On 11/6/2017 at 6:13 PM, KevvinG said:

I've got a '77 280Z, you can use the radiator out of any other S30 in 280Z's.  I was using a stock 240Z radiator for the past year or so in my car, all you'll need to make it compatible is the 240Z lower rad hose.  Now I'm running a Champion 3-row aluminum radiator meant for the 280Z (with the 280Z lower rad hose) as it seems to perform just as well as a mishimoto for a lot less money!

-240Z rad is a little shorter than 280Z rad (this means that the 240Z rad will bolt into a 280Z no problem, but putting the larger 280Z in a 240Z involves more work)

-240Z rad has a different lower water outlet, meaning you'll need to use the matching 240Z lower rad hose (the water pump inlet that this hose goes to is in the same location on any L-series motor so as long as the hose matches the rad you'll be fine)

Awesome thanks! I already ordered the Mishimoto...but I will admit, I am a bit of a brand snob lol. Would've loved to have bought their hoses as well...but I don't think they're worth $210. Probably just going to hit up Lowe's and see if I can find some hosing that I can cut down to fit. 

Thanks for the info!

On 11/6/2017 at 6:13 PM, KevvinG said:

Another question for ya...did you reroute your overflow tank to the driver's side as well or just curve the hose around? I see in the video (posted above) that he moved it and got a smaller tank. 

You can grab just any 240Z rad hoses, I like going with the OEM one over the Lowes style ones since they have all those nice bends in them already.  I've actually still got mine kicking around if you're interested.  But shipping from Canada might not make it worthwhile.

When I bought my Z it didn't have any overflow tank, I ended up just buying a cheapy ebay one and plumbing that in.  But there's no reason why you can't just route the hose around to the other side.

• 3 weeks later...