HybridZ

Drive shaft shop CV conversion doesn't fit!

trackzpeed

I have come to realize that DSS stands for Drive Shit Shop not Drive Shaft Shop.  I purchased their full bolt on axle kit and stub axles rated to 800 hp.  Absolutely none of their "bolt on" product bolts on my Z.  The adapter to diff stub axle is designed wrong and the hardware they sent will never fit....... After 3 weeks of doing my own research and sourcing my own hardware I finally came up with a solution to make the adpter work and fit albeit with ZERO input or help from DSS.    Tonight, I went to test fit the new OEM bearings on the new wheel stub axles from DSS and they slop all around!   The bearing surface on their stub axles measures 30mm and my stock stubs are 32mm.  I am so freakin pissed right now!  My car is totally torn down and nothing DSS sent me fits or is compatible with my 240Z.      DSS part numbers are DAR-1 and DAR-WHEEL......... DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP!   The only thing bolt on about it is that it bolts to itself beautifully.  To bad it just won't bolt into a Z as advertised and the tech support doesn't know jack squat about Datsuns or its own product to help.    Now I get the joy of trying to get my money back..... Oh joy!  Im warning the Z community to buyer beware.  This has been a terrible experience.    Jim 

• Thanks 1

i have this same problem, i cant figure out how you are supposed to mount the 930 cv adapter onto the differential side stubs, there is no way to tighten the nuts.  my project is on backburner so i havent spent much effort on trying to sort this out

how did you end up doing it? pics would be great!

New hardware from Carr McMaster. I'm using hardened 3/8-16 bolts with lock material on the threads and thin grade 8 nuts on the back side of the flange.  The hardware they supply will never work..... the stuff I sourced will hold up fine and the adapter is machined to hub centric around the diff stub axle so shear won't be a problem  

Make sure your bearing surface is 32mm and not 30 on your wheel stub axles. DSS is under the impression there are two sizes for the s30 and they sent me the smaller.  I've been building Z's for 30 years and that's news to me..... but I'm giving them a chance to make it right.  Jim 

PERFECT!  thanks so much, ive been struggling with this one for a while, and when i called them, they acted like i was crazy.  if they were designed right or smart, they wouldve counterbored the adapter bolt holes larger for nuts on the inside, completely opposite of what they have.

if handy, would you happen to have those mcmaster part numbers?

thanks again!

On 11/19/2017 at 11:15 AM, trackzpeed said:

IMG_2403.thumb.JPG.72660a9fea9a54a1de00db605546d8d7.JPGNew hardware.  3/8-24 3/4 inch with grade jam nuts and red lock tight torqued to 50lbs.  

Probably a silly question, but can you just flip the bolts? So the nuts are on the other side?

• 3 weeks later...

Well....... Lee at DSS is coming through for me.  per his request, I'm sending the stub axles back along with my OEM 240Z stub axle.  He wants to make this right, so they are going to custom machine stub axles for me based off of the specs of my OEM's.   As frustrating as this has been, I have to give Lee props for trying to make it right in the end.   Ill post up how this all turns out.  Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got my parts back today..... I will know this weekend if they actually fit this time. Drive shaft shop said they would pre-assemble everything to minimize my time getting my car back together...... but they didn’t!  They only managed to press in the wheel studs half ass crooked so I have something more to fix aside from pressing on the bearings for a third time. Buyer beware- drive shaft shop is one of the worst experiences I’ve had in a very long time.  Jim 

On 12/16/2017 at 7:36 AM, trackzpeed said:

I'm sending the stub axles back along with my OEM 240Z stub axle.  He wants to make this right, so they are going to custom machine stub axles for me based off of the specs of my OEM's.  

It seems that what you're saying is that DSS could not copy the dimensions of a stock axle correctly.  Not really clear what the problem is on the fit though, since the axle just has to fit inside the bearings and have a proper seat on the flange side.  Binding would most likely be between the bearing inner race and the shaft.  Not a huge deal, you could have sent them bearings also, so they could check fit.  Seems like there might be poor communication.

On November 19 you had something that was about ready to go back together.  Then Lee offered to make it better, apparently by making a brand new part, that they do not currently offer.  Somehow, something came back wrong, but you haven't really described what.  Is it possible that DSS is not 100% responsible for these problems?  It's their first time making a full 240Z axle, if I read your posts right.  Looks like they're in that classic old situation of getting hammered for being too helpful.