HybridZ

Ford Super 8.8 irs swap thread. Rear brakes too

Invincibleextremes

Got a 1,000 hp nascar driveshaft... 4.5 inches in diameter.

Compared to the current aluminum corvette driveshaft I've been using so far.

Btw nascar driveshafts are $90 to $150 all over ebay.  Too long for this, but cut and balance isn't too bad cost wise, and the driveshafts usually come with billet yokes which are worth the purchase price by themselves.

Spicer 1350 u joint flange and factory five super 8.8 driveshaft adapter for the cast iron diff.  Automatic cars that used an aluminum diff get a different adapter because they used a different driveshaft from ford.

Not sure if i mentioned this, but my goals for this car are to use a 532 cubic big block ford stroker with aluminum heads and a toploader 4 speed... and later a nascar trans if the toploader lets go.

IMG_20190517_115306_652.jpg

IMG_20190513_114930_711.jpg

Edited by Invincibleextremes

To me, 4-1/2" with 1350 u-joints is an almost comical mis-match of parts for something like your Z-car. That 4-1/2" dia tubing will do absolutely nothing for you as far as critical speed at your length, but that bigger tubing also drastically cuts down on the available room to route the exhaust. Why saddle yourself with those monster parts that will only slow you down?

My car is similar in that it's an '85 RX-7 w/ small in/out Toploader 4 spd. It uses 1310 up front with a similar sized 3R rear joint. Also uses a common Spicer 28spl slip yoke and 2-1/2" dia x .065" tubing that's 26-1/4" long center/center.

Grant

Built jig for the uprights and making progress.  Still a few more things to finish and I'm dropping it off for the customer.  Both sides will be gusseted btw...

Oh and had a chance to snap a pic of whats needed from a 2015 mustang (brakes can be 2014 for smaller wheels)

Brakes, hubs, cv axles with custom length shaft, and the diff itself comes from one donor car.

IMG_20190528_174419_959.jpg

IMG_20190530_000422_149.jpg

IMG_20190530_000422_139.jpg

IMG_20190529_201924_296.jpg

12 hours ago, Invincibleextremes said:

I can do 650.  That way you don't have to trust my hack welding.  Can't do any lower unless a handful of people want some and have money ready... then I'll be happy to get them laser cut in batches and obviously the price will be even better.

Cutting them by hand takes forever and theres no way i'm working  for free.

Fair enough!

I can wait if others want a better price as well since I don't have my vehicle back yet. Otherwise I'd do a set of tacked for that price!

• 2 weeks later...

Would you mind summarizing your efforts?  Like what does the kit come with, what parts are needed, and what power level it can support?  Does the Z need to be modded?

I've read the thread but not 100% sure.

Thanks

On 6/11/2019 at 8:39 PM, fusion said:

Would you mind summarizing your efforts?  Like what does the kit come with, what parts are needed, and what power level it can support?  Does the Z need to be modded?

I've read the thread but not 100% sure.

Thanks

In short.  Kit is bolt in instead of an r200.  One bracket on the drivers side in the trans tunnel is in the way but the parking brake cables are left untouched.

Uses 2015 mustang brakes, hubs, cv axle parts and diff.

Requires custom length axle shafts if using factory cv.  Or 800hp and 1400hp race axles.

The kit bolts up to 2004 neon coilovers with swapped tops.

Also has the option to run smaller 2014 mustang brakes and use 15 inch wheels as a result.

New 34 spline super 8.8 is 30% stronger than the older 31 spline 8.8 diff and shares NO parts with them.  Thats a quote direct from ford.

Some Older 8.8 swaps have easily held 800hp on a datsun and NONE have ever been this strong or used a cradle. 

The custom shafts are 800 ft lbs capable but use factory cv so 500hp is what i would trust them at.  800hp has been used on much weaker parts... but I'm not going to make those promises.

The 800hp axles sold by DSS are for a 4,000 lb car so you make you own guesses as to what they're good to on a datsun...

***contact for pricing if interested, on an individual basis***

Today for example i ordered some half inch cut pieces at an amazing deal so price will reflect that in the future.

Spelling

Congrats on putting it together!

While I appreciate your efforts and bringing another option to the table, per the forum rules though I will have to suggest any pricing and sale information and such be conducted via PM or better yet setup a post in the vendor section! 

Also must warn you on the group buy type situation. You seem a driven individual, but in the past several have ended badly. Building and selling is slow and inefficient, but it does allow you to manage expectations and prevent things from getting out of hand.

11 hours ago, seattlejester said:

Congrats on putting it together!

While I appreciate your efforts and bringing another option to the table, per the forum rules though I will have to suggest any pricing and sale information and such be conducted via PM or better yet setup a post in the vendor section! 

Also must warn you on the group buy type situation. You seem a driven individual, but in the past several have ended badly. Building and selling is slow and inefficient, but it does allow you to manage expectations and prevent things from getting out of hand.

thank you, edited best I could and I will stick to the rules and post in the vender forum when i have kits available.

• 1 month later...

Built a mock up kit in foam board which allowed me to take it with me and draft up a bunch of the parts and I then took out some weight in areas that didn't need the extra material.

Paid for a batch of different parts to get laser cut, which definitely speeds up my efforts vs having to hand cut all the parts.imageproxy.php?img=&key=14ddac2bd4ae7e57

Working on a few customer orders at the moment and I'll post pictures before I ship them out.

Also having a small batch of 800tq axle shafts made for this conversion.  Last batch we got fit perfect so we're getting more.

$65 per decent cv axle plus the $300 each shaft makes for some relay cheap, really strong cv axles.

Maybe one day I'll go with some of the aftermarket 800hp, 1400hp or 2000 hp axle assemblies being offered for the 2015 mustang but in a car as light as a datsun I dont see the need just yet.

And as someone pointed out... LESS has done 8's in the 1/4 mile.

IMG_20190808_204555_907.jpg