HybridZ

2004 gto ls1 swap 1973 240z wiring questions

this is my first time working with an ls1 so I guess I am lucky it is drive by cable. I have the complete harness and puter from the gto and is was prepped by the company the sold it to me.

it is drive by cable so what all will I have to do as far as wiring goes? I have it mounted in the car and it came with T56. I have been looking at the wiring and I have the pin outs all listed for the ls1. I have swapped a lot but this is my first new age engine. thanks guys 

Depends on how much you want to deal with the wiring.  I got a wiring harness from http://www.wiringspecialties.com/ls1wihaforda2.html

and it was literally plug and play...started on the first try.

It was really well made.  The harness that came with my LS1 was hacked a few times and really brittle.  I probably could have used it and even got a book to help figure out what I need and didn’t need but I figured by the time I replaced all the damaged connectors and wiring and added my time in I would be better off paying for the new harness.

A little more specific question would help...... but basically you need a hot a ground and a keyed ignition hot to get the motor running.  Your body and gauges still power up through getting a hot through your fuse block.  You will need a new tach and speedo and/or adapter.   Other gauges will work with the proper sending units. You won't need some of the wiring like secondary O2 sensors......   not sure I'm helping but again some specifics to your questions would help.   My experience was using a plug and play harness through wirrring specialties so what to use and eliminate was already done......  

52 minutes ago, 30 ounce said:

Depends on how much you want to deal with the wiring.  I got a wiring harness from http://www.wiringspecialties.com/ls1wihaforda2.html

and it was literally plug and play...started on the first try.

It was really well made.  The harness that came with my LS1 was hacked a few times and really brittle.  I probably could have used it and even got a book to help figure out what I need and didn’t need but I figured by the time I replaced all the damaged connectors and wiring and added my time in I would be better off paying for the new harness.

thank you very much for your help and that vid is great help also.

46 minutes ago, trackzpeed said:

A little more specific question would help...... but basically you need a hot a ground and a keyed ignition hot to get the motor running.  Your body and gauges still power up through getting a hot through your fuse block.  You will need a new tach and speedo and/or adapter.   Other gauges will work with the proper sending units. You won't need some of the wiring like secondary O2 sensors......   not sure I'm helping but again some specifics to your questions would help.   My experience was using a plug and play harness through wirrring specialties so what to use and eliminate was already done......  

thank you very much I will use everything you guys help me with.

I sent my 04 GTO harness off and for $400 they dieted it.  Gave me a harness that needed 4 wires plus ground  Hot, ign hot, fan and fuel pump. They also left in AC, VSS (speedo) and Tach.  The LS1 computer runs the AC through the GTO ac pressure switch.  I used a new harness for the rest of the car.  If using the Z harness most of wires are there just need to be sifted through, for example IGN hot can be coil.  My suggestion is if you are not really good at this type of stuff, get some help.  It was by far the most intimidating part of the job.  JMHO, Richard. 

16 hours ago, Richard Oben said:

I sent my 04 GTO harness off and for $400 they dieted it.  Gave me a harness that needed 4 wires plus ground  Hot, ign hot, fan and fuel pump. They also left in AC, VSS (speedo) and Tach.  The LS1 computer runs the AC through the GTO ac pressure switch.  I used a new harness for the rest of the car.  If using the Z harness most of wires are there just need to be sifted through, for example IGN hot can be coil.  My suggestion is if you are not really good at this type of stuff, get some help.  It was by far the most intimidating part of the job.  JMHO, Richard. 

thanks Richard I do pretty good with this kind of stuff but never done an engine with a computer so I was a little intimidated but I made a good bit of progress last night. where is your AC pump? I could not use mine in the bottom left position because of engine mounts.