HybridZ

5 lug, 4 wheel big disc brake, and coilovers for pennies using 2014 mustang spindle and brakes

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Almost done setting up the front with 13.2 inch brakes and 17x9.5 wheels with 4 inch backspace.

Going to use techno toy tuning 5/8 tie rod ends.  And still need to clean up the caliper where it touches the wheels (wouldnt be an issue if i ised 12.4 inch brakes) and fab up the 2014 mustang ball joint to the control arm.

Using the 240z isolator was easy, worked out pretty good.

IMG_20180510_214907_582.jpg

IMG_20180510_214252_170.jpg

Splicing in a 2014 mustang ball joint pocket was a piece of cake.  It all came together no problems.  Using the factory srt4 bottom strut hole and placing the top of the mustang spindle against the strut when drilling the upper hole sets it up with the perfect camber at ride height.  Just a touch negative.  My only concern is the strut and ball joint are no longer in line with each other.  It's close, but the strut is inboard by 1 inch on this setup.  I'll be paying close attention to it to see if this affects the shock any.  It's not as drastic as the factory rear suspension. But I'll still be looking into what can possibly be done about this...

IMG_20180511_193117_962.jpg

How do you position the ball joints before welding? Do you have some kind of jig to hold things so that your work is consistent and  precise? Would love to see something about your differential swap too.

Edited by wrenchtech

Working on the rear at the same time, I should have it all together in a few days and have more pictures.

The ball joint is the stub cut off the 2014 mustang lower, and I trace it and cut off the pocket for the factory datsun ball joint location.  Then locate the mustang stub on the control arm and weld away.  Next to impossible to mess up... there's nowhere for it to be besides exactly where you cut out for it, because you traced it in the first place...

7 hours ago, wrenchtech said:

How do you position the ball joints before welding? Do you have some kind of jig to hold things so that your work is consistent and  precise? Would love to see something about your differential swap too.

There's a thread in the drivetrain forum about the diff swap.  You can also follow my work on my youtube channel or it's Facebook page.  Www.youtube.com/invincibleextremes 

• 3 weeks later...

When you get back keep me posted!!! Are you in Portland? I live in Washington, so I’m not too far... maybe when you have your car back together I can come check it out.  I’m petty much planning on following your foot steps and swapping my car like you did yours

On 6/14/2018 at 7:00 AM, Suchfun240z said:

When you get back keep me posted!!! Are you in Portland? I live in Washington, so I’m not too far... maybe when you have your car back together I can come check it out.  I’m petty much planning on following your foot steps and swapping my car like you did yours

Yeah, hit me up

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...