HybridZ

2jzge swap in progress

240zdex

13 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

That's a great idea

I tell people that all the time when they find out I have a welder and tell me they have a welding project. Just have the piece completely prepped and I can swing by and zap it in. 1 person has taken me up on it, granted they just had me order all the parts new and order it cut to length. 

So I’m a bit lost going foreword I may have bit off more then I can chew without having Dave doing most of the work.(sure do wish I can find another guy for $30 an hour)

i have picked up my z and brought it to my business parking lot (short term thing till I can find a suitable place to work and store the car that’s not to far from where I live)

i may have a place to do all the work but I won’t know till Friday but me being a happy go lucky guy I’m looking at welding as cautiously as I can.

that brings me to this delima 

i rent a bunch of tools for my business and my local rental place will rent me there mig welder for $15 a day but I’d have to wait till September for that price otherwise it’s $50 or buy it outright for $800(don’t know all the specs but it will work with a household plug and has a gas option but they only rent it with flux core)

Option 2

its been said and my quote button is not working for some reason.

having a Mobile welder do the floor and frame rails for $90 hour plus Parts and gas depending on where I get a place to work on the car)

I work 70-90 hours a week in the spring,summer and fall seasons and I’m pretty sure I’ll fu€k up the welds but I would like to learn but is this the worst thing to learn on?

Also started messing around with the engine for an hour or so waiting on Parts to come in for my dump truck I did not get far because I couldn’t find my deep 14mm socket.

after looking at the engine today I really want to clean it all up and redo all the gaskets and main seals while there easier to get to.

and yes I know it being outside on a pallet is not ideal but it’s all I got for now E93A5291-8E3D-4B00-9DFA-1B426AE5069C.thumb.jpeg.91a577738613ae6852bbf3e122e933b8.jpeg

You don't want flux if you can help it, it requires clean up afterwards so quite a bit more work, MIG is what you want. Once again you don't really need to think of welding for quite a while. Getting all the pieces cut out with a perfect fit and prepping the surface is way more time consuming.

When the time comes as in you have all your pieces ready, you can look around. You really only need it for a week or 2 if you have all the pieces ready so $15 a day is a good deal granted you would have to go rent a bottle, but if you are looking to buy, $800 is pretty expensive. You can get a Hobart Handler 140 for under $500. Lincoln also sells a MIG welder for under or around $500 as well. You can even look at some cheaper units like Everlast or AHP which have offerings for even less than that, even harbor freight can be an option.

Welding MIG really is not that hard, have someone show you the ropes and maybe come by and check on your progress after a while. 

• 1 month later...

It’s been a while since I’ve last posted to the build thread and nothing major to add except I found a new guy to weld for me and I dropped the car off to him.

he seems excited to be doing this resto and I guess that is a good thing.

im going to order the Mavericks motor sports conversion kit this weekend.

he will be out of state working for nearly a month and that’s a good thing for me as it gives me time to save buy and deliver parts when my business slows down a bit.

Our game plan seems solid but would like to share it and see what your guys opions are.

step one floor pans: drivers side was gone so it’s been cut out.passanger side can be saved with patch’s.

step two frame rails: both have some rot and rather then cut it all out I was thinking about cutting and patching the bad spots and having him rust proof and weld on a second layer of frame rail.(or just buy the bad dog rails)

step 3 attach engine to trans and have mounts made once it’s looking right.

once mounts are made I’d like to pick the engine and trans up to be freshened up or replace engine entirely with a complete running engine that hasn’t sat in the rain we had all of last month.

trans will need a newer style clutch fork and something else I can’t remember because I’m dead ass tired.

step 4 new fuel and brake lines fuel pump master cylinder rotors pads and other things in that nature.

step 5 some type of suspension set up I found a few weld in coil over kits and also found lowering springs and struts.

not sure what I’m looking for yet but I know I want to have a few track days in the future.

these are what I’m thinking about running

https://www.cosmoracing.com/260Z-280Z-1974-1978-1

step 6 cut wheel arches and replace unless my brinksworth flares will cover the rotted parts and fit the right way with enough clean metal.

step 6 wheels I found a set of wheels for $676 shipped the wheel size is 16x10 in a 4x114.3 with a 3.5 inch back space I had the off set written down somewhere but I’m a tad tired to care at this time but it should fit the build nicely.

step 7 get the car sound proofed wiring loom sorted fuse box built and engine bay painted.

step 8 install engine and trans for the last time have shifter modified wire engine up and hope to at least get the microsquirt to say yep there’s an engine.

at that point the car will leave him and that’s where I start my job.

sorry for the long post but it’s late I can’t sleep my belly hurts and I’m pretty sure my wife hates my guts.

anyway do you guys think we’re on the right track? As always feel free to throw out your comments concerns opions and burns.

AEF50E9F-C216-4BAD-A976-8795CE437D1C.png

87EBDB50-5113-478E-85B1-134A68A2ECC2.jpeg

210026F6-445A-4FB9-B66A-0A545060EE62.jpeg

4F5F81EE-8888-45E7-BFB8-A8A70548E138.jpeg

46006F6A-F954-4F17-A0CF-D62DD6AB6741.png

DE2F2358-A1A4-47C1-A6E0-59F72EEB7058.png

Edited by 240zdex
Needed to find a link and picture

Finding someone who says they can weld is pretty easy, do your diligence now rather than later, you want to see some test pieces and make sure he shows you the welds before he goes and covers them up with paint or seam sealer. These are really structural pieces take caution.

Stay away from cosmo. It is just a spring setup with an adjustable perch, might as well go with a ground control kit at that point which has way more options, better design, and you can convert to a camber top.

Those star wheels are pretty neat, but looks like the most they come with is 5.5 aka 0 offset. You might be able to run them with real thin coilovers, but you would want almost an inch more outboard probably via spacer if you wanted to fill out flares, that is quite a massive weight package.

For the effort, I would say trying to find a cd009 over the cd001 you have would be beneficial.

I'd almost say making sure the trans fits would be better before you went and welded in the floors, once you weld new floors in it kind of locks the trans tunnel in place makes it harder to stretch out or manipulate. Granted I guess you can't really hammer the trans tunnel without a solid connection to bend around. Looks like you have an earlier Z which means quite a bit of material removal will be required. Might be worth taking a look at how you want everything to fit and then try and build around it rather then weld everything and have to cut it up to make room again.

Depending on how bad the floor is it may be easier to just put in a new floor and it will be cheaper to if you just make it flat.

13 minutes ago, seattlejester said:

Finding someone who says they can weld is pretty easy, do your diligence now rather than later, you want to see some test pieces and make sure he shows you the welds before he goes and covers them up with paint or seam sealer. These are really structural pieces take caution.

Stay away from cosmo. It is just a spring setup with an adjustable perch, might as well go with a ground control kit at that point which has way more options, better design, and you can convert to a camber top.

Those star wheels are pretty neat, but looks like the most they come with is 5.5 aka 0 offset. You might be able to run them with real thin coilovers, but you would want almost an inch more outboard probably via spacer if you wanted to fill out flares, that is quite a massive weight package.

For the effort, I would say trying to find a cd009 over the cd001 you have would be beneficial.

I'd almost say making sure the trans fits would be better before you went and welded in the floors, once you weld new floors in it kind of locks the trans tunnel in place makes it harder to stretch out or manipulate. Granted I guess you can't really hammer the trans tunnel without a solid connection to bend around. Looks like you have an earlier Z which means quite a bit of material removal will be required. Might be worth taking a look at how you want everything to fit and then try and build around it rather then weld everything and have to cut it up to make room again.

Depending on how bad the floor is it may be easier to just put in a new floor and it will be cheaper to if you just make it flat.

Ive seen his welds and they look great on his g35 he’s building.

good to know about the cosmo set up.

the star wheels can be custom ordered up to 10 inch wide and 16 inch wheels with custom back spacing for about $8 more per wheel.

the cd001 trans I had gotten was super cheap and I’ve been keeping an eye open on a cd009 and in my parts of the woods everybody wants top dollar to the point where buying one from Nissan seems like the best choice after I get the car driving.

i like the idea about fitting the drivetrain in then welding in the floors I’ll see about doing it that way.

i had already bought a drivers floor pan knowing how bad it was.

both guys (Dave and tommie) said the passenger side is  repairable.

the chassis on working with now is a 73.

43 minutes ago, seattlejester said:

Good to know on the wheels I do have a soft spot for 5 spokes, is the option when you order direct from us wheel?

They don’t sell to the public but will answer your questions on sizes they can do and the sales guy I had referred me to use jegs for my order.

so I called jegs waited on hold for a bit and told the sales guy what they had said so he put me on hold and called us wheel and spoke with another sales guy and confirmed they can be done in my size and provided me with a quote plus shipping to my door. 

• 4 weeks later...

Small update I ordered the Mavericks adaptor and flywheel and it’s currently on back order so that blows but on the nice side I I have the correct clutch fork and pivot ball and i6F145026-36BA-47AE-8AE0-E69188E0AB0D.thumb.jpeg.65a50aec46d976f0e0cd59a501b6be9d.jpeg picked up a z31 for $300 with 91k on it.

i haven’t heard it crank or anything because there was no battery but the owners Dad said it was parked because of a bad fuel pump and the son is still locked up for 4 years and just wants to get rid of it. 

The body body looks clean and even if I don’t keep it I found a guy that will trade me a s130 Parts car and a few L6 Parts that I don’t really need but hey happy day.

000DCEFA-DBE7-4759-894A-C1AC1DDD2932.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Update.

bought a crap load of parts about a week away from finishing up my work season got a family trip planned my sons doing really well in school.

what could go wrong??!!

in one week my truck gets hit by a bus and

my mechanics wife tells me to pick up my car and Parts because there no longer together...!!!!

some one dose not want this car built.

i have a 6 hour drive to pick everything up and then I need to find a place to put everything and this time I think I’m going to do it my self 

Just now, SleeperZ said:

Good of them to leave a note, looks like the truck survives.

3 shops said it’s almost $7000 for repairs and I haven’t been able to get in contact with there insurance adjuster.

but I did fall in love with the s130 Parts car I picked up after I found a box of  you documentation from the factory and decided to give it to my son.

33B4E4DB-EEAA-4FD5-B4E6-A16B5448B1B3.jpeg

• 1 month later...

So just a bad update here.

the last few months have been a up and down ride and with everything going on in my live I’ve decided it was best to sell my 240z and focus on being a new home owner and saving money for the right project.

ive kept all of the Powertrain parts and will do a 2jz swap to an s30 just not at this time.

i wanted to say thank you to all of you guys for the advice and letting type up Long rants and you guys not banning my profile.