HybridZ

280z VQ35HR Automatic Swap Questions

richracing

What's up guys, been a while since I've been on here.  Since then I've parted ways with my RB25 swap and now have the opportunity to buy an '08 350z with the HR motor and auto trans for a good price.  This would provide me with almost everything I need for the swap.  I am planning to keep the automatic and upgrade the valve body with a Transgo kit, along with Works Bell paddle shifters.  

My first question is... What controls the automatic's shift point on this car?  The vehicle speed sensors on the diff?  I watched a YouTube video from ZFever where they did this exact setup in an s14, and they said that the vehicle speed sensor tells the trans when to shift.  Is this true?  I've messaged them on Facebook, but haven't heard anything back...

Second, if I use the Transgo valve body and paddle shifters to shift the car, will I even need to retrofit the vehicle speed sensors for this function?

And last question for the time being...  What are my header options that won't hit the steering shaft?  Or is it possible to use the steering shaft from the 350z?

...and the current status of my Z.  Stripped down for the cage build.

24174720_2010425052569080_5391235607150140665_n.jpg

Edited by richracing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, so far as I've been able to figure the Auto relies on the speed sensors on the Diff so you'll need that and or a Hall effect on the driveshaft, though with an RT mount you should be able to use the 350Z diff. (I think it's an LSD too, if it's from the touring)  It's an R200 shortnosed.   One advantage to having the speed sensor,  and using stock ECU is that you can enable the cruise control.