HybridZ

Highest quality type 1 air dam with ducts

Kyle260z

I have an early 260z project that I’m working on. After some research I decided to go with the marugen shoukai special type zg fender flares. The next hung I’ve been looking at has been a type 1 ducted air dam. It seems that MSA is the most popular choice. Are there other choices of a higher quality and with better fit/finish? Star road seems to be an option but Is the price (~$900) really justifiable? Also any thoughts on the highest quality higher style bre rear spoiler option available? 

If you're going ducted, buy the urethane one directly from Xenon. Fitment is great and it doesn't ship folded over like MSA mails them. If you're looking for the fiberglass ducted then you're out of luck, MSA seems to have notoriously poor fitment on some of their fiberglass parts. I thought Retro-spec might make one, but they only have the non-ducted type 1.

6 minutes ago, Neverdone said:

Anyone have any experience personally owning this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Xenon-3124-Brake-Ducts-Urethane/dp/B0007Z6LXI

That one is the one I have. I bought it on ebay, don't remember which is cheaper right now. Ships in a full size box so it's not folded up. Fitment is good, you just have to ignore the recessed bumper areas on the air dam. They don't go as far back as the recesses on the headlight buckets. Just line it up from the wheel wells and center the middle with the point of the hood and you're good. Skillard developed some turn signal backing  plates for this stuff and I didn't realize why until I had it. The 240z turn signals barely have any material to hold onto. That's the only complaint. Buy the Xenon 3124 wherever it's cheapest and add the skillard plates and it'll be perfect. 

I have the Urethane Xenon air damn on my Z. Fitment was fine on mine but I don't really have anything else to compare it to. Thought I'd mention though that if anyone wants a cheap and easy bolt on reinforcement to stop it from sagging the Skillard type 1 splitter works wonders to support it though I would recommend buying their shorter model since it sticks out a bit farther on the xenon air dam then the fiberglass MSA one it was initially developed for (the curve on the Xenon one is more shallow then MSA's fiberglass model). A lot easier to just bolt than on rather than try fabricating your own setup. Plus it blocks off the area under the radiator which makes a noticeable difference even during regular street driving.

22 hours ago, trackzpeed said:

I use the xenon dam in Redding California and it hits 100-110 all summer long.  I built a support for it and it’s rock solid.  I have some pics of the support on my build log in the Gen III IV V8 forum. 

For anyone looking it's on page 14,

Trackzpeed, I like what you did there, attaching the support where you did keeps that top piece from warping, I made my support into a splitter , without some kind of support that urethane air dam is useless.

IMG_0328.thumb.JPG.7a812608663586b70c2ffc3f66d59144.JPGIMG_0331.thumb.JPG.48ea5905c5e1451a8c70bea0d01a0ced.JPGDSCN1652.thumb.JPG.b25b74cd1e3c7690cfd474f35a7650e5.JPG

A lot of great info! I just heard back from retrospec and a ducted type 1 air dam is in the works. ETA is 2 months or so. I’m not in a rush so I think I’ll be going with that option and probably adding a splitter anyways for the added downforce.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, Zetsaz said:

If you're going ducted, buy the urethane one directly from Xenon. Fitment is great and it doesn't ship folded over like MSA mails them.

FWIW, I just got my Xenon air dam from MSA about 3 weeks ago and it was shipped un-folded in a full box.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:44 AM, Cheesymamba said:

I have the Urethane Xenon air damn on my Z. Fitment was fine on mine but I don't really have anything else to compare it to. Thought I'd mention though that if anyone wants a cheap and easy bolt on reinforcement to stop it from sagging the Skillard type 1 splitter works wonders to support it though I would recommend buying their shorter model since it sticks out a bit farther on the xenon air dam then the fiberglass MSA one it was initially developed for (the curve on the Xenon one is more shallow then MSA's fiberglass model). A lot easier to just bolt than on rather than try fabricating your own setup. Plus it blocks off the area under the radiator which makes a noticeable difference even during regular street driving.

Is this the one you are talking about (with the shorter 2" extension)? https://skillard.com/products/240z-260z-280z-front-lip-splitter

I wouldn't quite call it "cheap" at $289, but I suck at fabricating these kinds of things so it is probably worth it for me. Do you have any pics of yours?

If you have a metal/plastic/composites supplier and a jigsaw you can make a spoiler yourself if you have the patience for it. I will say cutting curvatures can really be difficult if you are a perfectionist. 

I have one on my car as well.

17377309-499C-48E7-9B10-2B808D45C16C_zps

It really has very little to no structure stock. I picked mine up folded in half as an example of how flexible these things are. 

I bought a steel rod that I bent to the curvature I wanted and zip tied to holes drilled in the bottom.

67B8A656-90DB-41F8-AA84-339C085777EC_zps

13B8F13B-C3E4-4676-94AD-9D6ED2F852E8_zps

For the middle I bolted on an aluminum plate that spans the width of the bumper

14A5022D-BC5B-4647-9105-28D9C17D5189_zps

649B6CB1-A369-468D-854D-79A05D826FD4_zps

I probably should tie it to the chassis, but I take it off often enough where that would be a hassle. 

The lowest price I think I found was if you picked it up from a 4 wheel parts store with a coupon. 4 wheel parts is a xenon distributor and shipping parts to the store was free the last time I checked. Pre post edit - not seeing it on there anymore, maybe worth a call.