HybridZ

LS1 A/C

Been looking at a lot of ls swap posts, and reading build threads with no luck. Can someone point me in the right direction. Looking for a A/C install with pics of hoses, compressor, condenser & receiver drier. trying to see how you ls1 guys are installing these components thanks.

Some of this is in my thread but the short version is it takes a bit of figuring out.  In my case:

I bought a gen 3 mini from vintage air, then modified it to fit the car, turned a mount around added  a different mount, normal stuff.  

Second I bought the JCI (Johns Cars Inc.) compressor mount and compressor.  Modified it a little to fit, had to trim a little around block or something, nothing major.  I found no other mounts that would work.  

Third I looked at a bunch of condensers and bought one based on research, it did not fit.  So I bought one local that did fit.  240 and 280 are different, so measure twice and buy once.

Fitted all the fittings and crimped all the hoses that were needed.  We have done a bunch of ac so I just needed to buy hose locally.  I would buy a hose and dried kit.    

Wiring was also different for me.  We used the GTO computer to run AC.  It took a little extra work and wiring and unless using a donor car it is not possible with an aftermarket harness.  HTH,  Richard.  PS Google search is your best friend on this type of thing.  

HTH, Richard. 

Edited by Richard Oben

I got a vintage air Mini II, it fits behind the dash pretty easily. The plumbing to a bulkhead took a little work and I had to purchase a few fittings to figure out what fit. 

I used a vintage air condenser in front of my radiator support, it is a 12"x20". 

For my compressor I ordered a Sanden/Vintage Air unit, after messing around with a vintage air F-body low mount, I ended up designing a building my own. Since my swap position is unique(ish) and I wanted a particular position. I just fabbed my own. 

All and all it took a little doing, but I am happy with the install. Of course, my car isn't running so I have no idea how it performs. 

I too am using the Vintage Air Mini II.  It fits quite nicely behind the dash.  On the motor end I used the OE LS1 compressor (F-body donor).  To enable this I had to notch the frame rail and migrate from JCI mounts to Corvette C5 motor mounts (plus my own cross member creation).  In order to meet my goal of an extremely clean engine bay all of the plumbing runs through the passenger side fender.  Condenser and receiver dryer with trinary are all in front of the core support.

P1050358.thumb.JPG.39507a9fc531a3d6255d60e00be7c922.JPGP1070874.thumb.JPG.72f708a7bcf26167affd3a43cbffc13c.JPG

P1070560.thumb.JPG.0e63e4dd87b39c64b12c91a4e23033a9.JPGP1070557.thumb.JPG.c121d7abffe057d56280253560940f2a.JPG

Litman, impressive my friend. Your car is SO clean. 

I thought that the OEM compressor was variable displacement and was not compatible with the vintage air. Perhaps I was mistaken. I went to the Sanden because it is slightly smaller and I was fighting for fractions of an inch. 

LLave,

All I can say in answer to your question is maybe?  Yes the OE compressor is variable.  Some say they use it without issue.  Others suggest wiring it to be fixed instead of variable.  Full disclosure on my end; the car hasn't gotten far enough for me to test it.  I may run into problems and have to change my approach, which would consist of altering the wiring as opposed to changing the compressor.  I'm pretty locked into this direction at this point.  Luckily living in the great white north I likely won't need it that often.

Thanks for the compliment.  Clean was one of my primary objectives in the engine bay.