HybridZ

Industry Garage 240z

nicksoccer22

Fun project!

But....I can't help but feel those door skins are really dangerous.

The lack of core, and zero structure will become a serious danger if there is ever a side impact.

Making carbon doors is really no joke....and this is coming from a certified composites fabricator.

"knows just enough to be dangerous" comes to mind.

Saving weight at the cost of safety doesn't make sense to me.

I hope to see some added protections in the future.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

^^ Arguably, yes.

But, those do not protect against the carbon shrapnel that would be entering the car. Lots of time a core, like nomex, is used in these cases to disperse load to prevent that from happening. A single skin laminate will shatter like glass. In my mind, there isn't much difference between what he is doing, and just not running doors at all. His only protection, really, is that cage. There is lots of room for things to get through. That carbon isn't going to stop much. Even with interior door panels.

Perhaps I'm just overly cautious.

Not trying to knock his build in any way. I kinda feel he is going for more "bling" than function on this one, that's all. He saved his weight by going with lexan/poly glass, and gutting the door regulator(s). He will honestly only save a couple pounds, per door, on each of these. And got rid of a wonderful material at dispersing load, and replaced it with a brittle, fragile, alternative.

Yes, the door needs that stuff to have proper crumple zones.

Soric, the core he was talking about there is specifically designed for infusion, the process I specialize in. Judging by the laminates I have seen thus far, none of them were infused. They appear to be hand laid (they seem dry).

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Ah, I wasn't thinking of the door itself shattering and becoming a problem. 

I recall a friend made fenders out of 1708? Demonstrated the resilience of the panel by taking a sledge hammer to it, panel just bounced. Can't imagine a core mat or a layer of fiber would add a lot of weight. I do wonder what the final weight will be with 4 cylinders and all the carbon replacement everywhere. 

2 hours ago, seattlejester said:

Ah, I wasn't thinking of the door itself shattering and becoming a problem. 

I recall a friend made fenders out of 1708? Demonstrated the resilience of the panel by taking a sledge hammer to it, panel just bounced. Can't imagine a core mat or a layer of fiber would add a lot of weight. I do wonder what the final weight will be with 4 cylinders and all the carbon replacement everywhere. 

Target weight is under 2000lbs, wet with driver.

• 1 month later...

Their car isn't seeing the road anyway so side impact from another vehicle is highly unlikely. Especially in time attack. I'm currently building a carbon Z with cf doors and that was my first thought. Instant death if I were to get T-boned lol.