HybridZ

ZF/Ford 6HP80 behind a LS?

260DET

The manually shifted 4L85E behind my LS3 280ZX circuit car is old tech and does not have the needed features of modern autos like good engine braking so I'm looking at a 6HP, only problem is for no real reason that I can see, no one else is so info and parts are very scarce. Has anyone moved into the 21st century and is willing to emedukate me B)

I did a bit of google search stuff and the later models (10 speeds?) were co-designed by both ford and chevy so it will be a better likelihood that it will fit the LS over the Ford 6hp.  Not sure anyone needs 10 speeds but we never thought we would need 6 either.  PS I just love my T56 but I am just a 3 pedal guy.  These days autos are faster and as efficient but I just like rowing the gears.  HTH, Richard. 

Weight is very important for my use, the Ford/ZF auto is a fair bit lighter than the 4L85E lump with the six speeds a bonus plus it is more efficient internally. There is also of course the GM 6L80 which one source quotes at 95kg wet with converter compared with 115kg (? spec) for the 4L85E . As to a controller, there is one vendor who says they have a plug and play controller solution http://tbmsport.com/6l8090eswapcomponents.html  Anyone know anything about them? I am going to email.

Edited by 260DET

If you have a gen 3/4 LS1 go with a 6l80, they have amazing technology built into the tuning and shift calculations and will bolt right in. Pull the shifter from a Malibu/Cobalt SS/G8/Cadillac and flash the trans for a Corvette with the tu/td and enjoy best of both worlds. The 6l80 has the TCM built into the oil pan and does not require a seperate controller or bcm. @jpndave has a lot of personal experience with that setup and the other computer controlled GM autos. 

6 hours ago, 1969honda said:

If you have a gen 3/4 LS1 go with a 6l80, they have amazing technology built into the tuning and shift calculations and will bolt right in. Pull the shifter from a Malibu/Cobalt SS/G8/Cadillac and flash the trans for a Corvette with the tu/td and enjoy best of both worlds. The 6l80 has the TCM built into the oil pan and does not require a seperate controller or bcm. @jpndave has a lot of personal experience with that setup and the other computer controlled GM autos. 

My LS3 is Haltech managed which blocks that solution unfortunately, the Haltech won't talk with the GM TCU will it. Pity. Powertrain Control  Solutions have a stand alone controller for the 6L, anyone use that? 

I don't have time to give a super detailed reply. The 6L80E is an exceptional unit but I'm not sure how well it would fit/function in the Z. I absolutely LOVE the trans in my Jeep. Super low first gear and double overdrive. "Learning/adaptive" shifts, very responsive. I'm in the process of putting the later Corvette version which will be upgraded a little in my JK behind a stroker LS3 based (with VVT) 6.8L. It is a very large and heavy transmission. Tall and large girth. I suspect the transmission tunnel would require substantial modifications. It communicates via the CAN bus and doesn't base shifts on conventional inputs which is what allows clutch to clutch shifting and the adaptive learning that makes it work so well. Simple it's not but that seems to be the way things are going. MUCH more efficient than a 4L80 based unit. I have quite a bit of experience with those and the upgrades/alternate gearsets, etc. The 6L80E standalone I am familiar with and they claim to be all that. I don't have personal experience with it and am not sure if the claims are backed. I am only aware of one company making the unit and would suspect others are "re-branded" boxes which happens a lot in that world. I have toyed with the idea of going to Gen 5 and the 8L90 but I'm not sure how much there it to be had with the increased gear splits given the broad power delivery I have and don't really find gaps with my current setup. The 2 points of overdrive would be nice but I don't think it would be worth the cost and complexity. First is already killer low and with the new billet converter it will be even more torque multiplication.

I'll try ad review your tread and offer a more succinct and to the point reply rather than the above ramblings but saw @1969honda reference and thought I would throw out a few thoughts.

My present thought is to get a complete package from a wrecked car, engine, transmission, shifter, electronics and loom. Have unearthed a local fella who has the software to get it all working and tune it which was my main concern. The option would be to use that package in it's entirety or else use my present good LS3 with the Haltech and loom removed which, together with the Sonnax kitted 6L80, sounds like the best combination. The 6L is lighter than the 4L85E, is more efficient and has engine braking.

Have given up on the ZF/Ford trans, to recon one here costs lots of moola plus mating it to the LS is not simple. At this stage of the project plug and play is the word.

Edited by 260DET

• 3 years later...

Thread revive. Looking again at a ZF 6HP26/28 trans, it's viability has improved in that a bell housing adapter is now available for the LS as is a mickey mouse controller, the HGT GCU. Apparently these ZF boxes are exclusively trick inside in that shift speeds can be adjusted to near instantaneous. The car is a 280ZX 2+0 built for circuit racing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My experiences with any transmission Ford has touched in the past 8 years has been negative. Not to say they broke, but just really wonky shifting behavior and poor feel. Have you driven anything with this transmission before?

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, the 6L80 is also based on the ZF 6HP design as well though with a few additional changes to put the TCM on the Valve body and using a different style of Pump (Vane vs. Gear). 

They do make controllers now that allow a 6L80/6L90 to talk to the aftermarket ECM's as well

http://www.zerogravityperformance.com/product/tcm-2650-mechatronic-transmission-controller-6l80e-6l90e-6l50e/

Edited by MAG58
  • Like 1