HybridZ

STP oil treatment with zinc....DON'T use it.

Do not buy STP oil treatment for the purpose of Zinc or ZDDP additive. I made this mistake after reading the 15oz bottle stating it's first ingredient is Zinc.

I later found out from STP there is only 5ppm of ZDDP in it. After several emails back and forth asking why the first ingredient states ZDDP they said they

have to warn it contains some for those people with newer cars. Very deceiving, why would you need additive for a newer car? Anyway, just a warning there

is pretty much NO Zinc in it for those looking to increase ZDDP for their older cars requiring it. They advised me there is only 5 parts per million ZDDP (5ppm)

IMG_0653.jpg.7ef99b19096cbdebc062865e7c36415a.jpg

Edited by Ken Smith
update

I agree, I used to use zinc additives for my old engines until I started talking to this very knowledgeable oil guy at a car show, he wasn't trying to sell me anything, never even got his card, anyway he was explaining that the type of zinc that is used in aftermarket additives is the inexpensive stuff and isn't in a form that can really be used as a lubricant. He said if you want a high zinc content use a quality oil that has a balance additive package that is aimed at the kind of use that your engine is going to see, makes sense to me.

I'm going to try the Rislone additive. Here is what they said after I sent an email requesting information on their additive: 

Hi Ken,

Thank you for reaching out to Rislone Technical Support with your interest in the P/N 4405 Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment and the amount of Zinc in the bottle. The amount that we put in is prioritized information, we can share what the PPM’s will be when used per our dosage guidelines. Please see the below.

INSTRUCTIONS / DOSAGE NOTE: Do not use as an engine break in additive. Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment contains the correct amount of ZDDP and other additives important to protecting your engine for everyday use. For best protection use with every oil change. Can be used during oil change, or added in-between oil changes. Do not overfill. GASOLINE ENGINES (Cars & Light Trucks) 1996 and older – Add one bottle to engine crankcase. 1997 to 2004 – Add approximately ½ bottle (5.5 ounces) to engine. DIESEL ENGINES (Light, Medium & Heavy-Duty) 2006 and older – Add one bottle to engine crankcase for every 5 quarts of oil capacity. OTHER APPLICATIONS For 4-stroke marine & motorcycles (dry clutch only), agricultural, industrial and racing applications use 2 ounces for every quart of capacity. TYPICAL TEST RESULTS INDICATE: GASOLINE ENGINES With typical SN rated oil at a 7% dosage rate expect levels to be raised to a total of: Zn Zinc 1700 - 1800 ppm P Phosphorous 1500 - 1600 ppm

For your convenience, the link to the product on our website is below. It will direct you to the product overview(s), as well as directions for using this product, FAQ,  technical information, and the SDS (Safety Data Sheet).  

https://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment/

17 hours ago, TimO said:

Check out this article on the Driven Racing Oil website re zink in oil.

http://admin.compperformance.com/news/dro/training-center/articles/proper-use-zdp-engine-oils/

Exactly!

Anyone putting  aftermarket additives in their oil should read this article. I only learned this myself last year so I'm not trying to pass myself off as an expert.

2 good quotes,

"Why can’t the average racer simply purchase a ZDP supplement and significantly improve the cam and lifter durability of his oil? The primary reason is that the ZDP molecule is a complex chemical in which a metallic substance has been combined with a hydrocarbon to make the metallic material soluble in oil, and dissolving the ZDP into the oil is the key to maximizing ZDP performance. "

"The safest way to ensure maximum camshaft and lifter protection is to purchase engine oils specifically compounded for your application. It’s always best to let an experienced oil formulator and blender put your oil together for you "

Not trying to start the oil wars again

16 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Exactly!

Anyone putting  aftermarket additives in their oil should read this article. I only learned this myself last year so I'm not trying to pass myself off as an expert.

2 good quotes,

"Why can’t the average racer simply purchase a ZDP supplement and significantly improve the cam and lifter durability of his oil? The primary reason is that the ZDP molecule is a complex chemical in which a metallic substance has been combined with a hydrocarbon to make the metallic material soluble in oil, and dissolving the ZDP into the oil is the key to maximizing ZDP performance. "

"The safest way to ensure maximum camshaft and lifter protection is to purchase engine oils specifically compounded for your application. It’s always best to let an experienced oil formulator and blender put your oil together for you "

Not trying to start the oil wars again

The problem is finding the correct oil since all newer oils are formulated differently than back in the 70s. This is one reason I went with conventional oil and additives. There are race oils and diesel oils that have ZDDP but are formulated for their specific application. Our older motors with flat tappet cams and high miles may not work well with these newer oils. Sometimes I think there is just too much to choose from and a lot of BS out there. 

Just bought a case of Valvoline VR1 today....Amazon carries it but I found some locally at the NAPA store.  Royal Purple also looks to be a good choice that's available at many chain auto parts stores.