HybridZ

R200 obx diff

HOLLAATYABOYY1

Welcome to the forums.

I have moved your post from the FAQ section to allow responses.

To answer your question, yes. Your stock axles should work with the correct OBX differential.

Please take a moment to read the rules of the forum.

Also note our search is not the best, try using google while limiting your search results to hybridz.org may yield easier to visualize results.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that I've read a few accounts of sloppy fit for the R200 axles in the OBX diff.  Something to consider.

The guy that got MFactory to produce a diff apparently put a pretty good product together.  Don't know if they're still available or not.  Looked better than OBX though.

3 hours ago, NewZed said:

Pretty sure that I've read a few accounts of sloppy fit for the R200 axles in the OBX diff.  Something to consider.

The guy that got MFactory to produce a diff apparently put a pretty good product together.  Don't know if they're still available or not.  Looked better than OBX though.

6 minutes ago, walkerbk said:

I just bought mine, should be here in a few days if you want to wait. I however don't have my axles out yet (I'm swapping to 300zxt axles which should be identical on the diff side).

Please update this thread when you get it bolted up. I’m planning in advance for my swap.  Thank you 

Thank you guy for the responses I was looking for the cheapest route to go for my ls swap.  THe rear is my biggest obstacle and I don’t want to weld 

My OBX when bolted had unuseable backlash. I forget the exact specs but on one side of the ring gear I had 0, and the other side I had way over spec.

i was planning on tossing it when my machinist friend said he would take a peak. Said the ring hear mating surface had 0.08” of runout.  Not sure when I’ll get the chance to bolt it all back together, but I’m hoping that fixes the problem. Doing it again, I’d go for the warranty and M Factory.

Just got it in and the axles fit quite well. They have a little play (less than 1* I would guess) but over all good. I went ahead and rebuilt it which was defiantly needed while adding new washers and bolts. Although the ones that came with it were intact, they were rusted and grimy. Plus it was filled with cutting oil from the construction of the body.

Less desirable was the packaging that it came in however. I could have packed it better in a shoe box with tissue paper... but that's what you get when you buy on ebay. I'll let you know how it goes worked after the install

I went with the OBX and I'm very happy with it, of course I had to dis assemble it, clean the crap out and change the washers/bolts and reverse all the gears.

I have one driving season on it plus a track day and it runs quiet, BUT I had a differential shop install in the R200 and set up the lash.

• 7 months later...

So I've been playing with the installation of a OBX in my R200 for several weeks now and have gone through just about every scenario regarding upgrade and fitment. One thing I seem to have overlooked was the tolerance of the press in splined side flanges to the lsd machined splines.....and guess what.....my drivers side fits nice and tight, not so much for the pass side. I'm getting rotational play, no in and out, I've replaced the circlips with new ones. Checking the side flange tolerance back in the original open carrier it fits nice and snug like a factory fit should. So now.....what to do?  OBX Racing Sports doesn't respond to manufacturing defects or tolerance issues and won't guarantee against them especially after the unit has been modified and installed. Can anyone think of some long term/heavy duty solution to decreasing this play? I'm measuring about 0.020" of "backlash" between the teeth.