HybridZ

Help NO START

HOLLAATYABOYY1

What’s up guys . Short and simple.   Got my car delivered to me today 76 280z.   I know the filter in the back near the gas tank needed to be changed along with a leaking fuel line.      

Before delievery the car ran all day. 

Car was dollied to me (not flatbedded) like I thought (2 hours).   When I got the car it started on half a crank,  ran rough for 20-30 seconds and then stalled.   Checked / had no fuel.    Filled 2 gallons and now I have a no start issue.   Just cranking.  And an occasional sputter like it wants to start 

What do i do! ?

Nissan says that if you run the tank dry you need to prime the pump.  Can't remember where exactly I saw that, either the FSM or the Owners Manual.  You might jack the back end of the car up to be sure the pump inlet gets a little help, getting a good fuel supply to start pumping.  You can run the pump by itself by disconnecting the starter solenoid wire and turning the key to start.

The aftermarket pumps don't seem to have that problem but the stock pump might.

• Like 1

All you should need is a couple of gallons in the tank to ensure the fuel level is high enough to flow to the pump.  Stock pump location is very close to tank bottom, but if it was totally dry you may have to siphon fuel to the pump inlet.  A vacuum pump and a small T fitting at the pump inlet should be able to get that done.

Don't make it complicated.  People run out of gas all the time.  It might not even be your problem.  Run the pump as described elsewhere and listen for bubbles n the tank.  When the bubbles stop the lines are full.  Then use starting fluid to get it started.

14 hours ago, NewZed said:

Don't make it complicated.  People run out of gas all the time.  It might not even be your problem.  Run the pump as described elsewhere and listen for bubbles n the tank.  When the bubbles stop the lines are full.  Then use starting fluid to get it started.

I primed the lines for 10/20 seconds.   Should it be a lot longer then that ?    

May have crap in the fuel lines, the filter(s), or the pump itself.  Any rust or sediment that may have been in the tank could have gotten stirred up during the tow and is now plugging the fuel lines at some point.

If this is the problem, the only permanent solution is to drop the tank and clean it; disconnect all lines and blow them out; and replace the filter(s) with new/clean ones.  If you go this route, this is the right time to replace all the rubber fuel lines with new hose.

Good luck with it.