HybridZ

Clutch or Transmission Issue??

Phantom

I have a '99 T56 from a Camaro Z28 behind an Ls1 and a stock GM clutch. Lately when I hit the throttle hard and take the engine into the 6K range the tranny doesn't want to shift.  It will pull out of the gear it's in but won't go into another gear.  No grinding or anything like that.  It's almost like the reverse lockout is engaged for all the gears.  Once the engine slows down to roughly 1500 RPM or lower I'm able to get it into gear.  It also happens more frequently when the transmission is cold.  So, do I have a tranny problem or a clutch problem??  The clutch also engages/disengages pretty close to the floor.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  Obviously stumped a bunch of people here. Turns out it's somewhere in the hydraulics - the brake master cylinder reservoir has metallic particles in the fluid.  That pretty well dictates replacing both the master and slave cylinders along with a thorough flush of the line.

FWIW - my '98 LS1 and '99 T56 use GM units.   

The slave cylinder is the donut style with a bleed port, Part #15046288.  Pretty much the standard slave cyiinder used by GM on all their manual transmission LS variant V8's.

The master cylinder is GM Part #DB07AF610A. This is the master used on Chevy & GMC trucks & Tahoes with manual transmissions back in 2001-2005.  This particular master cylinder is an easy install on a 280Z - almost no modifications required.