HybridZ

Wide body build thread! Fiberglass Mafia kit MOLDED

juliarosario

The next night I stopped by to take a look at my baby in person, and let me say, the pictures do not do this car justice! 

Before this, I was trying to decide whether I liked the look of the car with no bumper, and I do, or if I wanted to add a bumper. I think I decided to put the bumper ends on to give the front end some contrast. I also propped the grille in there just to see how it would all look and DAMN I am psyched!! This is gonna be awesome!

He said the next step is attaching the front bumper ends, either making them permanent or detachable. Either works for me, I trust his judgement! Then he's gonna block sand the car and fill any air bubbles the fiberglass flares have left, then sealing, AND THEN I THINK PAINT!!!

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 10.37.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 10.36.59 PM.png

Edited by juliarosario

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 11:31 PM, seattlejester said:

The kit looks like it sits pretty low on the body, curious how it will look all together. Keep up the good work!

Thank you I appreciate it! It definitely does sit very low which is kind of what I wanted. I think when the suspension is all finished and tire and wheels are on its gonna look insane! I can't wait to see.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, 

It's been a while but now all the bodywork is almost done, I thought I would give a little update.

The car needed a lot more attention after we last talked. The fiberglass had multiple pinholes in it after the primer and sealer, so we had to fill and sand again, fill and sand again. Primer again, seal again, and then over here in CT we had about a month and a half of humidity and horrible weather. Not ideal for paint!

THEN THE TIME CAME!!

I'll cut to the chase and show some pictures. This was just after paint, it still needed to be clear coated so don't get caught up on the matte paint! It will be glossy don't you worry.

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

I really like how the paint changes color in the light. In a dark setting its more of a copper base and in the light its a nice orange. 

I almost had the engine bay painted black as well but after all the hard work put into making it smooth I opted to keep it orange. The frame rails and bumper ends were painted black.

Like I said, clear coat is still to come and then the glass is getting put in and its coming back to me!!😊

55740958183__E96753D5-FA00-49AC-805D-8A15ED226957.JPG

55740958843__90680B1D-071E-4E10-8832-33C97B01C973.JPG

55740960192__4F42CFDE-C720-4402-A543-60268753A682.JPG

55740960547__2C61A61F-59F5-47DE-B940-96E0CF2E6386.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! It's been a while but I just wanted to upload some pictures of the finished paint job. 

It's all nice and shiny! All it needs now is a wet sand and buff and it's all mine to pick up. The glass is getting put in in a couple days so I'll post some more pictures when I get them!

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/10/2019 at 9:26 AM, 1970 240z said:

Looks really nice! I'm building another car and am considering those flares too. I can't wait to see your beauty with the wheels on to fill out the new flares!

I too went with the cut bumper when I did my car! 👍

2017-10-23 10.34.27 1.jpg

Wow!! Your car is beautiful! Glad we both had the same thought of using the bumper ends, it turned out amazing. Can't wait to see your other build, keep us posted!

• 1 month later...

Nice build and gorgeous looking Z, especially exciting considering you are also in CT and also restoring one of these gems. I have alot of body work to do on my 280z still but I would like to know what paint code you used for yours.