HybridZ

MSA rear disc conversion brackets problems?

So I purchased these rear brackets from MSA, I installed everything they said to use , 85’ maxima calipers/pads(rear) , 82’ 280zx rotors(rear). It all mounts up fine, but the pads are only using about half, they don’t seem to fit all the all the way down using up all the rotor surface?? 

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

69370A79-6651-4021-B3AA-A212F0F4E436.jpeg

8CC0ABC7-9905-4FF5-A31E-3113BFD58A9F.jpeg

I agree, it doesn't look right.  Either the bracket positions the caliper too far from the rotor, or the rotor is too small.  In all the designs I've worked with, the entire pad contacts the rotor.  It looks like this arrangement could overheat the pads.

so i did notice they have a "Swap Kit" , that's sold out, that uses a 300zx rotor. I bought just the brackets and was told to use the 280zx rotors. it looks like stock 280 zx rotors are 272 mm diameter , and the 300zx rotors are 290mm. I'm gona try picking up a set and see if it fits.  

I contacted msa, they told me the same thing again , " use 280zx rotors".  

On 4/1/2018 at 7:48 AM, 383 260z said:

So I purchased these rear brackets from MSA, I installed everything they said to use , 85’ maxima calipers/pads(rear) , 82’ 280zx rotors(rear). It all mounts up fine, but the pads are only using about half, they don’t seem to fit all the all the way down using up all the rotor surface?? 

How much of the pad area is contacting the rotor?  That's what matters.  If the pads are only partially in contact, that will put uneven pressure on the pistons.  Focus on the pads.

Yes, that's not going to work.  MSA should know that.  They must be depending on their kit supplier to know what they're doing.  They gave you bad advice.

You can do the math on the 300ZX rotors.  They are 18 mm bigger in diameter, so 9 in radius.  You'll gain 9 mm of pad coverage.  

Rockauto says the rear 280ZX rotors are 258 mm.    Shows the 300ZX as 290.  That would be a (32/2 = 16) mm pad contact area difference, not 9 mm.  But, like Miles says, you need to confirm the diameter of what you got.  Looks like you got everything that MSA said to get though.  Who knows.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/24-5581

• 2 months later...

Did you figure this out? I've been sitting on the kit for awhile and just got around to buying the calipers but I got the calipers from autozone. Almost same price so to avoid the time delay for a merely 10 buck savings, I picked them up locally. Any updates before I start? I got C8166 and C8167 brake calipers.