HybridZ

240z Headliner too small

5 Star Rising

I have a early 71 240z and had a small cut in my headliner. I picked up a used headliner last summer out of another early 71 and removed it my self. I don't remember seeing any gaps in the roof as far as the headliner being too small but I might not have paid too close attention as all the plastic panels were already removed.

Somehow during transportation I put a fold/crease in the headliner vertically. I remember last year I used a heat gun on the crease and put pressure on the crease by pulling it both directions when it was hot, it seemed to take out the crease. I then used SEM vinyl paint on the headliner and it turned out great.

After doing so much with the car since last year, i finally got around to putting in the headliner today only to find the headliner is too small. From the center of the headliner near where the rear view mirror would be to the back of the headliner, I notice it is about 2" too short so the sheet metal roof is exposed. Im not sure what the hell happened. Im not sure if this headliner came this way from the other car sitting in 105 degree heat its whole life or if the heat gun or paint shrunk the headliner. I do remember comparing the 2 headliners last year and noticing the new one was a little smaller but I don't remember if that was AFTER I did the work to it or not, I just figured it would fit fine and that my old headliner had extra length that fit under the plastics, but today I found that this is not the case.

This thing is way too small.  I then tried to use a vinyl repair kit and fix my old headliner today but it turned out like crap.  None of the cars were a 2+2 that the headliners came out of.

Questions:

Did the headliners come in different sizes from different manufacturers?

Is there a way to Stretch this small headliner and make it bigger?

Is it better to just buy a NEW headliner? And if so, where can I get one that looks stock for my series 1?

Thanks in advance

Yes

7 hours ago, 5 Star Rising said:

Yeah seen that yesterday before I posted. Any one ever get one of those? Does it look pretty close to stock?  

Yes, I have installed 2 of them now, the vinyl is good quality but the foam is about twice as thick as the original foam and a bit stiffer. It makes for a harder install because you have to roll that extra thickness in between the roof and the header apron, a second person is really needed. But looks great when done.

DSCN1486.JPG

I went to fabric shop bought some thin foam and black marine vinyl. You can take your old as a stencil and make it a bit bigger you have about half an to an ich where you can pinch it in. Mine came off  my roof wasnt clean and used a weak adhesive. 

20170829_125311.jpg

20170829_120539.jpg

20170828_171644.jpg

20170828_171636.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got a headliner from the Z store.com and you're right it was quite thick. Had to trim about an inch on the sides and the back because it was a little oversized.   

Also I thought I could be safe with the spray-on adhesive and not get it everywhere so I didn't tape off the upper vinyls and yes I ended up getting glue everywhere haha.

But I used a clean cloth and that stuff called Goo Gone and it came right off no problem... I did however cover my up my seats with a old bed sheet.  I used SEM gloss black vinyl paint on the new headliner and it look'

20180428_135146.jpg

Edited by 5 Star Rising
  • Like 1