HybridZ

V10 240Z build on YouTube

rturbo 930

Yeah, kinda makes sense though. Being a V10, it should fit lengthwise pretty easily, and Datsuns have been V8 swapped enough that I don't think width is too much of an issue. I think even the behemoth twin cam 4.6 Ford motors fit in these cars, although only just. Pretty sure someone did that swap.

That is true, I kind of forgot about the Ford's. I just imagine a twin cam V engine gets pretty close, but VQ's get swapped in pretty regularly and those are twin cams, so are 1UZ's if I remember, granted I imagine the S85 is a much bigger bore/stroke engine. 

Should be interesting. Curious to see what wide body and what rear end he decides. I imagine he is going to shoot for something around 1,000hp.

That is part of his brand of entertainment? Had a similar discussion with a friend about doing things right, for some people it is. Given his speed doing things "right" would kind of kill the flow which in this case is his revenue stream.

Although I share your hopes. Also with that drivetrain and potential for twin turbos without some decent repair to that chassis and a serious rear end it is going to fall apart. Curious to see.

I hope it fits, this way my first choice for an engine for my S30, but I figured I wouldn't have had the money for the fab work or the time to be able to carry it out so I went for the RB26 instead.

18 hours ago, seattlejester said:

I imagine he is going to shoot for something around 1,000hp.

I doubt it given that he seems to love the engine he is not going to ruin it by turbocharging it, plus 1000hp in an S30 isn't really useable like a 550hp NA S85 would be.

Alright, I just saw his second video, describing the plans for this thing. Sounds like it's going to be some frankensteined disaster. He's moving the front wheels back some 5", and swapping a newer, wider, larger interior into it, as well as a suspension that is, from what I gather, about 8" wider, or 4" per side. And a target weight of 3000-3500lbs. So, it's going to be a Goofy looking, short, wide something-or-other, with no visual cohesion (old car+new interior), too fat to be a sports car, but it won't be a luxury car either because it's got a cage, and I'd take a guess it'll drive like crap too.

I believe he mentioned it in the M5 reveal video, mentioned his plans to race someone, given his past ventures, most likely Tavarish with his twin turbo lambo which Tavarish plans on making 1000hp, so to be competitive you would imagine he would be doing something somewhat similar, unless he mentioned that was just to throw people off, I tend to skip through a lot of content.

I mean if we are being honest here, anything over 300hp that has a usable power band is going to be a spirited in a 240z. Once we get to 500hp I feel like the terms excessive come to mind.

I agree, I commented hoping that if he feels moving the engine back is necessary to just leave the crossmember up front. Shortening the car like that I agree will make it look kind of goofy. Not to mention shortening the already pretty short wheel base. Going to have poor straight line stability if the high speed race is his goal.

I imagine he needs to drive it somewhere to the middle of the country, and go fast in a straight line. Hoping that suspension designed for 4100lbs will perform similarly in a car weighing 1000lbs less is a bit optimistic

Who knows, hopefully some reason will hold out, and I'm sure his welder friend will hopefully have some thoughts. I have to say his cars do turn out pretty good looking, and that Evora was very impressive, granted that was all body work pretty much.

Okay, I didn't see the M5 reveal video. I just subbed to him yesterday.

I'm with you on power, with the way I drive, I'd be dead in a week with 500hp. And the Z needs so much work to be able to handle 500hp really well, that I don't think it's really a good candidate for that kind of build. 300hp is probably the sweet spot for a Z. Not slow, but not so powerful that it's out of control.

I also left a comment on the video that appears to have gotten some traction, and it looks like I'm not the only one to complain about the wheelbase. We'll see what he says. I don't know if he reads comments or not, and there's a LOT of comments. I've seen a shortened Z by some guy in Malaysia or something that did an AWD RB swap. Looks as stupid as you'd expect.

From what I'm reading here and in his comments section, it doesn't sound like he has a clue about engineering anything, and mostly does basic, not terribly well done aesthetic stuff.

I've seen a stretched wheel base that didn't look bad, but as the Z is stock it kind of is a sweet spot aesthetically. Granted sometimes things can come together, an art friend showed me how less than a degree can ruin or make something, and without trying you wouldn't know one is better than the other.

I don't expect to learn much while watching what he does really. It is pure entertainment for me, I do have to fight the urge to yell at him or face palm on occasion, but I've embraced that as part of his brand of entertainment, kind of like cringey television. Like deciding to shorten the wheel base on a whim for the reason of keeping the engine on the stock mounts was a pretty poor reason. Hopefully he does crowdfund some of his input.

I've helped someone mount an E90 BMW rear subframe in a Volvo 240 or 242 a long time ago. Kind of was remarkable how easy it was when you just cut out the rear of the car and center the diff/axle axis in the wheel well and weld to some beams that were put across the body. We used a tape measure, some angle gauges, jack stands, and a jack. Took about 4 hours? So what he is proposing doesn't really require engineering per say, and if he has an aerospace welder do the welds and generate the reinforcements, then it should be sound. The question is can he finish and will it look decent. 

Meh, this is either going to be impressive or a train wreck, I think that is the essence of entertainment so I'm getting popcorn lol.

I just hate to see a Z go to waste for likes on youtube and instagram (or any other reason), which seems to be a theme now.

Just to be clear, with regards to engineering ability, I didn't mean just mounting the things on the car, I meant doing it such that they actually work well.

I mean that car looks to be fairly gone, if it outer panels get a new life in a car I think I can stand behind that rather than seeing it crushed.

Yea, no clue how or if it will hold up, this is as big a thing as he's ever taken on, who knows it might be the first thing he walks away from. Or it might be the first thing that falls apart as he is driving it, or tries to. 

I don't think he'll go through with the 5 inches shorter wheelbase idea. My guess is he will swap the motor and trans then go with TTT or AZC suspension. There are so many better options than moving the front wheels back 5 inches. Here's a quick video of a guy that swapped a v10 into an e30 without the shenanigans he's proposing: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still following it, but in the sense that I cannot help but watch a train wreck in action.  He's cut the body up into little pieces in spots that make zero sense.  He cut right across the cowl, and cut all the structure out of the bottom.  That chassis he fabricated to hold the M5 subframes is a guaranteed disaster, with no plan for how to mount the struts or body on it.

I just can't stop watching now that the project is past the point of no return.  He's in a deep hole and still digging, and I want to see how deep it gets before he throws in the towel.

I had to unsub. He just cuts with no thought put in whatsoever as to why he's cutting there. Dude needs to stick to body kits. The car didn't look that bad before, either. Mostly floors, and a  hole in the pass. rocker. Could've been a good car. RIP, Z.

It went from maybe a sub frame swap which the rear M5 subframe is surprisingly well packaged, to a tube chassis, to a ladder frame, to a body on frame, and now it is going to ladder frame with hanging body unless he plans on bridging everything.

Honestly who knows, someone with a lot of time could still make something work, and that is one commodity he seems to have along with quite the disposable income in some aspects.