HybridZ

BC Racing DR Series Coilover Opinions???

I am contemplating a new front/rear suspension for my 240Z race car. Wondering is anyone has experience with BC Racing products or can suggest an alternative. Below is the current setup I just removed. Thanks in advance for the help.

20171201_153931_1512164423677_resized.jpg.2a4ffa20d94d8a44dcd92fe3da471f63.jpg

20180410_113308.jpg

20180410_113315.jpg

20180410_113325.jpg

20180410_113342.jpg

20180425_113202.jpg

20180425_125557.jpg

20180425_125634.jpg

20180425_125644.jpg

20180425_125721.jpg

Edited by Gmagno

^Good eye, that is really cool, looks like the mounts are much simpler as well. Definitely an option for people who have rusted out buckets.

I've heard the DR's offer better low speed response, but I'm not really sure for a race setup. The dampers at least in the BR don't feel like they react very quickly. 

There was a thread back where people talked about a company that offers race spec coilover conversion can't find it for the life of me, but other than that TTT comes to mind.

Since this is a racing car you should really not be thinking about some off the shelf solution.  I would either work with someone who can help you pick a setup for your car based on sprung/unsprung weights and the available grip you expect to have or go through the exercise of calculating that yourself.  I would look very hard at inverted monotube designs as they have a much larger shaft to bushing ratio that helps with not only how long things will last but the amount of compliance that you'll see in cornering.  You may want to check the rules you race under to see if there are any issues you might run into on that front.  Don't get in a rush and end up buying the same thing twice.  A little work/research up front will help you save dollars in the long run.

Cary

Thanks for the advice. Car will be in the unlimited class so no issues. Not experienced with INVERTED monotube. looks like the piston is inverted. Expected grip is as good or greater than a late model Boxster in the corners. I will do some research on your suggestions and be patient pre purchase. I found the post below but it confuses the heck out of me. Might need to phone a freind on this one.

That's a really good thread to read through even if you don't decide to go into that depth of detail.  It will help make you a much better purchaser of suspension and help with what to ask for.  Inverted monotubes are nothing special really.  They are just an upside down shock and what looks like the large rod in the top of the strut is really the insert body.  Bilstein or a good example of this.  They are often used/hacked to create one off setups.  There are a number of good threads around using them as a base.

Hope that helps,

Cary

The reference to "an actual race car" is a little cloudy. It was an actual SCCA race car in the 70's with that suspension technology. I had a 1973 240Z that had Ground Control coilovers and it faired well in endurance racing so I expect the BC technology surpasses that and should be fine for what I am doing. Already pulled the trigger and will keep everyone informed. Thanks for all the replies.

I have the DR's purchased, but car isn't ready for them yet. When researching, digressive shocks are definitely the way to go for a more performance oriented car.  I was hoping to find a few different shock dynos of the BCs, but only found a couple... likely because at the BC pricepoint, most people aren't going to have them run through a shockdyno.  BUT - they seem to use standard bilstein sized pistons and valves so really fine tuning their setup is possible and rebuilding shouldn't be a big deal.  I would have preferred the shocks to be inverted like the Stance or Simtec, but a lack of information about the internals made me lean towards the BC.

TLDR; I thought the BC DR's were the best way into a digressive coilover setup that was a solid base with room for improvement down the road.

Thanks for the info tim.d. Looks like you and I will be the guinea pigs on this one. I should have them mocked up in a week and will post pics but will not be able to test until the end of July. that is if I meet my deadline on the build before the race at MSR.

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, ///M3 & Z said:

How did it go with the BC racing coilovers? I'm considering a set of the BC racing DS for my car or possible the KW v3 depending on the price

Car is still in the mock up stage, slow going. I read enough to choose these. Pull the trigger and don't look back.

Iv never heard of that brand MCA, anyone running it?

On 1/21/2021 at 11:59 AM, Gmagno said:

Car is still in the mock up stage, slow going. I read enough to choose these. Pull the trigger and don't look back.

What did you use for spring rate? Did you also upgrade to swift springs?

On 1/30/2021 at 11:18 AM, Twisted46 said:

This needs to be added to the sticky, these look great for OTS. I have been looking at a lot of options and never came across them. 

As an Aussie I don't mention Aussie gear unless it's world class, included in that list would be, MoTec, Kmac, Haltech and MCA.