HybridZ

Phantom Grip Pass or Fail

I think the suggestion was if you need it in a racing environment, you might as well weld the differential.

The way that is designed it either won't work (weak springs), or it will work but will supply excess load on the bearings, which aren't designed to be under that kind of force constantly. Which means it will wear prematurely, that can lead to seizure and would be bad in a normal environment, but in a race environment where you are going fast with loud noises might go un-noticed and be catastrophic.

25 minutes ago, seattlejester said:

I think the suggestion was if you need it in a racing environment, you might as well weld the differential.

The way that is designed it either won't work (weak springs), or it will work but will supply excess load on the bearings, which aren't designed to be under that kind of force constantly. Which means it will wear prematurely, that can lead to seizure and would be bad in a normal environment, but in a race environment where you are going fast with loud noises might go un-noticed and be catastrophic.

Thanks for the info. So weld it and call it a day? I can't see spending 2K on a Quaife equipped 3.54 R200 LSD diff .

i have a newly rebuilt Quaife equipped 3.54 R200 LSD diff here right now that is ready to go out. $2000

Otherwise i may have a used clutch type lsd unit to put into an open 3.54 r200 diff here.  and that would be same price as listed on the site.

I have a 3.54 R200 LSD diff waiting to be shipped to me on the next container. I can air ship it over for an extra $250

Thanks,

Mike Hanson
Manager, Whitehead Performance

Edited by Gmagno

Welded differential are a step up from open in that if you pick a wheel off the ground you won't loose forward momentum, but the car will behave differently and will want to understeer in other instances which may be a detriment. If budget was the absolute master concern it may be a consideration, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd almost say the order would be

open > welded > phantom grip.

Mpower makes a helical that is $800. OBX makes one about that same price range. CLSD's pop up once in a while which would be complete for about $800 as well, although you may want to open it up and replace the clutches.

Opening a diff and installing an LSD isn't too terrible of a job. Keep track of where the spacers came out from and you can ball park it. If you have the spacing/shim kit and a feeler gauge you can actually set the lash so it would be relatively problem free. 

You can keep an eye out on craigslist for part outs of Z31 87-89 300zx turbo's and see if you can snag the rear end. I know a couple a people who have bought wrecked or parts car 300zx's just for the differential and scrapped the car and made out with paying much less. 

I did my rear end for $1000, but that also included CV axle conversion. My differential was about $300 using an infiniti J30 VLSD in a Z31 long nose housing. VLSD's aren't the best for racing though as they loose the lockup with use and heat.

Thanks seattlejexter,

I heard bad things about the OBX, made in China, knock off, etc. MFactory is a grand. http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/partno/MF-TRS-05R200 

I just picked up an 81 turbo r200 diff for $280.00 and planned to purchase a Futofab WCR CV Axle Kit for $900.00 so I guess another grand and its all done for the price of what Whitehead is suggesting.

16 minutes ago, Gmagno said:

Thanks seattlejexter,

I heard bad things about the OBX, made in China, knock off, etc. MFactory is a grand. http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/partno/MF-TRS-05R200 . I saw that old post realted to you and exlifesaver. Would he be a good contact to save a few bucks or stay away and buy direct?

I just picked up an 81 turbo r200 diff for $280.00 and planned to purchase a Futofab WCR CV Axle Kit for $900.00 so I guess another grand and its all done for the price of what Whitehead is suggesting.