HybridZ

Advice Needed To Install New Autometer Gauges

Mayolives

I'm going to install new gauges in my 73, 240Z.  Does anyone have tips or advice for me?  I've used Autometer for other builds in the past but is there another gauge that I might consider?  Although I'm not a big fan of working upside-down I'm going to leave the dash in place and not remove it from the car.  I haven't bought gauges yet but would like to order them within the next few days.  Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Edited by Mayolives

Everything you need is here:

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/autometer.htm

Do a search as this has been covered many many times.

You can remove the glove box (fragile) and reach behind the gauges. And/or you can remove the heater control panel to reach up from the bottom.

If you have a dash cover installed you will not be able to get the old gauges out through the front of the dash.

The Autometer fuel gauge will not read accurately without calibration. Calibration may or may not work!

Edited by Miles

Miles,  Thank you for the reply and the link.  I did feel a little guilty when I posted, but a number of the links I found when searching would not open.  I suspect because they were many years old and ? lost? during updates?  I did find some You Tube videos that were helpful.  I removed a dash from a 78 280 some years ago and recently one from a 73 240 and the job wasn't fun, for sure.  I'm currently knee deep restoring my 73 240 and removed the windshield a few days ago. I wanted to complete all the under the dash work before I installed the new glass.  Do you believe it would be easier in the long run, to go ahead and remove the dash in order to install the gauges, check out the wiring and prepare it for a new dash cap?  It has the original dash in poor condition and doesn't have a cap installed. Thank you for your help, TB.

Removing the dash can result in a bag of snakes on old cars.  If you have to remove the dash for restoration/AC install/heater repair etc  then you might as well go that route.

All of the gauges can be installed with the dash in place.