HybridZ

the always troublesome rear spindle pin removal

1 hour ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

425 Motorsports over in Bellevue! I see you are from there. They are about a mile west of Crossroads. I live about a mile east of Crossroads so they are convenient for me. They are doing the chopping/welding for my coilovers. They have done very high quality work for me so far.

I keep forgetting they have a shop as well as a show room. I live pretty close by as well, I've gone to them for some weird seat brackets and stuff before. Nice people.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:55 PM, Miles said:

Take it to a machine/suspension shop and have the pin pressed out.

Today I finally did this and it came out within about 5 minutes.

Now I'm fighting the new bushings that are slightly thicker so they don't want to fit over the spindle upon reinstall. I think I saw some people freeze them or something to shrink them and get the control arm back in place? Are there other clever tricks for this or should I just sand a milimeter or two off the bushings?

edit: here's a couple images of what I'm talking about

O3ID84i.jpg

sS2v4Yx.jpg

Edited by bawfuls

Paint scraper I think is the go to. Usually made out of stainless so it is pretty hard, angle it so it acts as a ramp. Employ two, one on each side and push the upright down.

Heat can make them a bit more pliable, but really you don't want them to deform.

If that doesn't work you can shave a little bit off. The arms can come in a bit if you tighten it, but you have to make sure you don't take too much off or it will want to bind the sleeve to the pin.

15 hours ago, seattlejester said:

Paint scraper I think is the go to. Usually made out of stainless so it is pretty hard, angle it so it acts as a ramp.

That's what I do.  Kinda tough to do alone - get some help.  Lube helps too.

Thanks for all the advice, took me about 6 hours today but I got the rear suspension back in. A few things to torque down once the car is back on the ground but now I am DONE replacing bushings. Feels good!

yZT2MwQ.jpg

Edited by bawfuls