HybridZ

Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a list of potential modifications for my 240z that I might consider doing and would be beneficial to do while I have the car stripped to the shell instead of going back after I re-assemble it.  Modifications can be personal preference, technology improvements, performance improvements, etc. I'm looking for any ideas from you guys.

I'm also doing a L28 NA to turbo conversion. Are there any modifications associated with that specific conversion that would be easier to do now?

For example here are some of the things I'm considering while I have the car torn apart:

New dash gauges

Aftermarket seats

Seat heaters

Blower motor upgrade

Air conditioner upgrades

Any modifications to accommodate a stereo system

Double DIN stereo

Any bracket fabrication for Megasquirt component mounting

Car alarm

Battery switch

Keyless entry

Putting wire mesh under the cowl so debris doesn't collect in cowl area

240_z.jpg

I'm in almost the same state and I'm taking the opportunity to replace (and simplify) the electrical system.

I wasn't going to go so far as to put mesh under the cowl (it'll interfere with the washer nozzles and I don't want it visible) but instead I was going to make a screen sock that I can put over the air inlet to do the same job. I may make a pair of magnetic screens to put over the fresh air inlets as well to keep the foliage out of the cabin.

Another mod I'm planning is to remove the factory heater valve and replace it with a vintage air servo heater valve, then figure out some way to control that using the stock heater controls. https://www.jegs.com/i/Vintage-Air/960/461171/10002/-1

Since your intercooler piping is gonna have to run through the core support, maybe get that sorted now, along with any modifications that need to be done.

Double DIN stereo is gonna look goofy in the Z's classic interior IMO. Modern style stereos, seats, etc. look totally out of place in classic cars.

Where to start? There is so many possibilities, I'm sure I can come up with a few for you but I'll start with this one, this is a mod I wish the factory would have done, there would have been a lot less rust in the rear of the Z's'. I just welded a 4" lip to the rain gutter on both sides, now instead of water pooling on the back deck lid it runs right off.

DSCN0433.jpg.b3306cc613785eac16ef121182344b38.jpgIMG_0628.thumb.JPG.8dbe5d1aa75832263eb7c7dbc9296493.JPG

• Like 1

All great ideas guys. I might start adding your ideas to the original post and link to each post.

20 hours ago, ZHoob2004 said:

I'm in almost the same state and I'm taking the opportunity to replace (and simplify) the electrical system.

Did you end up going with an aftermarket wiring harness?

15 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Where to start? There is so many possibilities, I'm sure I can come up with a few for you but I'll start with this one, this is a mod I wish the factory would have done, there would have been a lot less rust in the rear of the Z's'. I just welded a 4" lip to the rain gutter on both sides, now instead of water pooling on the back deck lid it runs right off.

Great idea! Does the original weatherstripping (or replacement) weatherstripping cover that extra 4" piece like picture or did you have to buy a different piece of weatherstripping?

49 minutes ago, jkelly said:

Did you end up going with an aftermarket wiring harness?

I haven't decided yet. I kind of want to build my own (because I hate myself) but I'm having trouble finding a way to buy wire for less than the cost of a painless harness. Really I just don't like the painless fuse block and want to go with my own setup, but I would love their labeled circuits...

7 hours ago, jkelly said:

Great idea! Does the original weatherstripping (or replacement) weatherstripping cover that extra 4" piece like picture or did you have to buy a different piece of weatherstripping?

Not sure I remember, I think the replacement strip had extra length compared to the original.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 8:03 AM, ZHoob2004 said:

I haven't decided yet. I kind of want to build my own (because I hate myself) but I'm having trouble finding a way to buy wire for less than the cost of a painless harness. Really I just don't like the painless fuse block and want to go with my own setup, but I would love their labeled circuits...

If you want build your own harness with labeled wire for less than the cost of a Painless kit, buy an EZWire kit and cut off the fuse block. EZ kit is good quality wire but less than half the cost of Painless. I think the whole EZ kit is nice, but I think the instructions blow.

9 hours ago, JoeK said:

If you want build your own harness with labeled wire for less than the cost of a Painless kit, buy an EZWire kit and cut off the fuse block. EZ kit is good quality wire but less than half the cost of Painless. I think the whole EZ kit is nice, but I think the instructions blow.

That looks extremely promising. And their mini fuse block doesn't look half bad either, so I may just go that way. Thanks for the suggestion.