HybridZ

Camaro gas tank mount

My ls swap has been running now for about 3 years but when I originally mounted the camaro gas tank I did a very poor job and had the mounting rails running front to back.

I am now going back and cutting out all the old and doing it right but I can't seem to find the posts on how others have done it.

My plan is to have mounting rails run left to right made of 1x2 and then make a 2 piece clam shale to mount it. Both pieces will be made of 1x2 and then weld to the mounting rails.

I would like to see how some other people have mounted theirs however before I do this. 

I did the same thing. Going with an original tank now, but if I'd kept the camaro tank I'd just cut whatever you have just outside of where your tank straps/mounts are then weld that to new pieces that run side to side. 

Essentially you're just shortening the piece you already have mounted to the car then running it to new pieces that go side to side so any impacts don't instantly mess with your tank mounts and cause serous problems. 

3 hours ago, walkerbk said:

I thought there was someone who had made a frame to go over and under the tank instead of using the 1x2 over and a strap under.

Can't help there... closest I've seen to what you're describing is someone welded another piece of 1x2 at an angle from the top mounts. Not much difference between that and what I assume you have other than creating a more fixed point for the "front side" of the fuel tank to sit against and creating short straps.

I might just be crazy because that's what I want to do in a similar way but I thought someone had made it fully out of 1x2 instead of straps... I'm going to just stick with that design I guess (with a little tweak here and there).

• 1 year later...
On 6/19/2018 at 1:05 PM, LLave said:

I know that a few people here have done that swap. 

BTW, if anyone is interested I have one with an aftermarket fuel pump in it. I need to get rid of it... cheap.

Do you mind if I ask you why you decided not to goo with the Camaro tank and what tank you did decide to use?

30 minutes ago, malman2100 said:

Do you mind if I ask you why you decided not to goo with the Camaro tank and what tank you did decide to use?

I went with a stock tank, cut the top open and welded in a Tanks inc kit. I heavily considered  the Areomotive Phatom kit that Austin Hoke used, if I was not comfortable with a welder I would have gone that way. 

Why I chose that route, I thought it was the path of least resistance. Rather than fab all the mounts and what not, I thought it would be simpler to modify the tank that already fit. I also considered a stock tank and a surge tank with a high pressure pump. But the only location it really fit was under the hood and I am just not crazy about that idea. Ultimately I am not sure I was right, but that's ok. The weld in option with the pump, sump and sending unit was a little bit difficult to get all sorted out. 

I then sealed the inside of the tank with KBS gold tank sealer. Which I had to do twice. If you use a sealer be very aggressive about draining out as much as possible before letting it dry. Thick spots will skin over, trap solvent and peel. Stripping and re-doing it is awful. 

I think I still have the Camaro tank if you want it.