HybridZ

Questions on stub axle eliminators

caperix

I am looking at options for stub axle eliminators for the s30 chassis.  I a going to be running a mild v8 with a t56 at around 350 to 400 ft\lbs. I have a long nose r200 already installed, I do not see the need in my application for an r230 and the are some affordable helical options so I don't see the need to go to a short nose r200. 

I would like to run CV axles with stub axle eliminators and am looking for opinions on the options.

Arizona z car makes one in their complete suspension kit, not sure if they will sell parts separate or if it will work with brakes other than their own.

Techno toy tuning will sell parts separate, their kit is based around a differential swap but should work with the long nose if you leave out the front mount. It looks like it is based around r32tt brakes, not sure if the parking brake drum is retained.

Forum member Wilfred was working on a setup using intrepid hubs & a ford 8.8 differential, I think this project has been abandoned & the 8.8 swap looks like more work than needed for my application.

Forum member invincibleextremes is working on a setup using mustang hubs and an 8.8 but is not fully completed.

Are there any other options I missed? Any opinions on any options?

To be honest, in your shoes, I would go with the techno toy tuning setup.

Then use 240sx brakes, not z32.

The bearing mounts are the same, and parking brake is built into the caliper.  Win win.

Your only problem will be they make the uprights only work with their strut, but that's easily adapted to any modern coilover.

Also, it's 500 for a pair, not bad pricing.

240sx will let you stay 4 lug, just use shortened 240sx cv axles and that's it.

12 hours ago, caperix said:

I am looking at options for stub axle eliminators for the s30 chassis.  I a going to be running a mild v8 with a t56 at around 350 to 400 ft\lbs. I have a long nose r200 already installed, I do not see the need in my application for an r230 and the are some affordable helical options so I don't see the need to go to a short nose r200. 

You're probably fine with the u-joint half shafts.  Many, many, of the "upgrades" aren't really upgrades.  If you're not drag-racing.

You didn't even say what kind of Z you're working with.  240, 260, or 280?  They're not the same, although they're all S30's..

Edited by NewZed

Sorry, late 260 so the taller 280 struts & the smaller spline stubs from what I have read.

I didn't realize the ttt setup used 240sx parts, though they all look to use the same bolt spacing on the bearing. So I guess you could put the larger bearing on it with a 5 lug conversion.

It feels like the factory stub axles & axles would still be a time bomb, especially on a lowered car due to the u joint angles.  I worry it would be like running a t5, there are many who have run them into the 10's but at that point they will fail catastrophically.  I am thinking a little extra money spent at this point may save me down the road.

I would still like some input from anyone running these setups. How are they holding up, what brakes are you running?

Edited by caperix

On 6/19/2018 at 9:32 AM, caperix said:

Arizona z car makes one in their complete suspension kit, not sure if they will sell parts separate or if it will work with brakes other than their own.

AZC says drive shafts aren't ready yet.  But then their whole web site is from the 90's so who knows.

Good luck.

http://arizonazcar.com/strassy.html

I agree that Arizona z cars website needs some work. I am leaning towards the techno toy tuning set up. It has the hole for the parking brake so r32 internal parking brakes can be used or you can run 240sx caliper mounted parking brakes.

I need to contact them & find out if their struts use the same cartridge as the 280 struts & if they can still be easily sectioned for lowering.