HybridZ

Custom 280ZX Hood Vents

Lately I've taken aim at designing a better hood vent setup for the 280zx. First I created a blank template to ensure I got the shape correct (pic 7). The stock vent passenger vent is mostly cosmetic, with a very small actual open area for airflow (pics 1&2).

Opening all the vents releases much more air (pics 3&4) but sending it straight up creates all sorts of turbulence issues. Flow: +178%

Putting louvers over the opening starts the air moving the same direction as the outside air (pics 5&6). A roughly 20* angle appears to get the best Venturi effects. Flow: +400%

You can see from the cutting\drilling guide how much more area will be opened up to airflow. I 3D printed a set, slapped some black paint on them and they're ready to be installed. I did add a small ridge around the border to stiffen them significantly.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

9 hours ago, Ereschkigal said:

Is there a difference if you would place the louvers on the inside to get a cleaner look from the top?

my first thought also but the pocket they sit in is pretty shallow. dont think you will get much depth if you go down n with the vents. my 2 cents would be to make it a single raised vent kinda like how they do on top of fenders to release wheel well pressure. the one you developed looks exactly like rear window louvers, which if you have them and like them then your spot on. i dont care for them so thats were my dislike comes in....i will say though im very happy to see someone doing something with the s130's. so keep doing what your doing!!!

3 hours ago, G-Tech said:

my first thought also but the pocket they sit in is pretty shallow. dont think you will get much depth if you go down n with the vents. my 2 cents would be to make it a single raised vent kinda like how they do on top of fenders to release wheel well pressure. the one you developed looks exactly like rear window louvers, which if you have them and like them then your spot on. i dont care for them so thats were my dislike comes in....i will say though im very happy to see someone doing something with the s130's. so keep doing what your doing!!!

Thanks for the inut G-Tech and others. I was concerned with flow first, looks second. Good to know 260DET's experience matches what I suspected would happen.I didn't run a sim with the louvers reversed, but there definitely is not as much room in there, plus garbage gets funneled into your engine bay when stopped. My design won't stop that happening but it won' encourage it, either.

Now, onto something solely cosmetic, I've been working on 3D printing some turn signal lenses. Slightly ricey but pretty wanted to try something with the clear filament.

Lens1.jpg

Lens2.jpg

Lens3.jpg

On 6/22/2018 at 4:11 PM, ZHoob2004 said:

Slightly off topic, but what's your printer setup and settings? Material? I'm pretty impressed by that pattern on the inside of the lenses, is that designed in or just your infill setting? Also what kind of post processing are you doing?

These were done on a Stratasys Objet 350 polyjet printer in Vero clear. The pattern is modeled in just as it was printed. 

TurnSignal2.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi I'm from Australia & I'm building a Nissan Bluebird 910 Group C replica of George Fury's Bathurst pole record setting car & I want to CNC machine a set of bonnet vents that where on his car. He used these type off vents & I was wondering if you were willing to share the file so I could make some vents. If so could you email the file to tur80d@hotmail.com Thanks

DIY tip to check the efficiency of bonnet vents on the 280ZX. Release the rear catch and drive the car at a set speed in a safe off road place to see how far the bonnet lifts up due to engine bay air pressure. The stock vents are pretty well useless, the ones I mentioned in an earlier post work well ie the bonnet does not lift up near as much.

• 3 months later...