HybridZ

US 240z manufactured later... with lower VIN?????

How is this possible?

This car on eBay, was made in 1/71 according to the door tag, but has VIN HLS30-14751.  My car's tag has 12/70 and the VIN is HLS30-16511.  

Here is my VIN plate (unfortunately partially sandblasted by a prior owner):

IMG_20180620_230407.jpg.e440af32ac37e2a0cb5f5e5c7f210d0e.jpg

Can someone explain?  Did this car on eBay get held up in production - set aside for a bit?  Anyone else ever hear or confirm this occurred at all with this period of Datsun's?

Also, the Zhome registry has lots of VINs that are close to mine more or less with regard to production date.  And here are two VINs from the Zhome registry which sandwich the VIN of the car on eBay - both show 11/70 production dates:

1214037461_VINCapture.JPG.a64d7b56ead5d56bd3b07226c826f90c.JPG

Garrett

Edited by inline6
Added Image

VINs are not necessarily sequential in the first year of production, there were times where chassis were put back on the line after 'sitting on the side' for whatever reason was repaired and then went forward with production and completion. 

I had a car in Japan, S30-110661 which was an early car (No Center Console, Blanked radio and Clock, No Chrome Trim Window rubbers, 240 Dash, Tail Lights, with 100L Fuel Tank Option only offered in the early models) It's the only one that late I have ever found, most are 260-Pattern Chassis starting at S30-108XXX, and this jibes with the official production records maintained by Nissan as well.

THAT is a quandary, much more so than an early number having a later production date. A later VIN having earlier characteristics smacks of 'special build'...