HybridZ

75 280Z - Won't shift gears

ScramblerX

I just bought a 280z from ebay and had it delivered last night.

It was supposed to run great and it starts up well but won't change gears when the car is running.

I had to put it in first, start the car, move, shut off the car, shift to reverse, start the car, move. 

Any ideas?

I'll take a look at the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder when i get off work and there is alot of play in the shifter so maybe i'll get some bushings too.

oz.thumb.jpg.eba53d1bbb45b42d2607beb8d4b0a5b5.jpg

Edited by ScramblerX

Sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging. Get someone to push the clutch in and watch the slave cylinder/lever to see if they move. If they don't, or it moves a little, check your master cylinder for fluid and bleed out any bubbles. If it does move, then something might be wrong with clutch itself, the release bearing, or the collar.

1 hour ago, ZHoob2004 said:

Sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging. Get someone to push the clutch in and watch the slave cylinder/lever to see if they move. If they don't, or it moves a little, check your master cylinder for fluid and bleed out any bubbles. If it does move, then something might be wrong with clutch itself, the release bearing, or the collar.

Great - thanks for the help.

I'll look into it tonight.

On 6/22/2018 at 10:07 AM, ZHoob2004 said:

So i took a look at the car over the weekend. The Slave seemed to be moving okay but is was leaking alot of fluid. I'm thinking i'll replace it and flush the system and see if that helps.

It's a sealed system, so if it leaks any fluid there's something wrong. Luckily the whole clutch system in these cars is easily accessible and really inexpensive to replace, so even if you do all of it you're not out much.

When you've replaced the cylinder, bleed it just like you would your brakes.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:22 AM, ZHoob2004 said:

It's a sealed system, so if it leaks any fluid there's something wrong. Luckily the whole clutch system in these cars is easily accessible and really inexpensive to replace, so even if you do all of it you're not out much.

When you've replaced the cylinder, bleed it just like you would your brakes.

Thanks for the advice,

I ordered a set including the clutch master, slave and hoses and hopefully that will fix it up.

Also got some oil, coolant, and spark plugs - so its going to be a productive weekend.

• 4 weeks later...