HybridZ

Help me find the right price for 1983 280zx

krap22

i've been driving by this Z car for about a week and it's calling to me.  It's a 1983 280zx non turbo.  They are asking $6900 for it.  While the body is in great condition, there is a little bit of rust starting at the top of the windshied in the middle.  When i opened the radiator, there was some rust in the fluid, but seemed to hold fluid.  The engine compartment was fairly clean.  Interior was in pretty good condition.  The headliner was falling down and the T tops were definitely leaking.  Then engine wouldn't push past about 3500-4k.  I'm thnking it should be more around $4k.  What are your thoughts? 

your not really giving enough info to put a value on it. you listed a couple problems that make it sound like its going to have more issues when you really dig in. what i can tell you is the 280zx is more of the odd ball of z's so they are not all that valuable unless they are turbo models or in really great shape. that particular engine setup has alot going on so figuring out engine issues is tricky.

check underneath, they are very known for floor rot and "frame rails" like to rot from underneath seating area and back towards the rear. also the rear quarter panel at the bottom in front of the wheel also rots. 

i say make sure the body is solid, when you find rust there is usually more and can easily turn into a nightmare, and tell him to get engine fixed. you "might" be ok with $4k if all that checks out.

and also all depends on what you wanna do with it. its a great driver when things are sorted out and has alot of comforts like pwr windows and a/c and pwr steering  . there is not as much aftermarket parts for it as all the other models . 

good luck, let us know what you do   

Edited by G-Tech

8 minutes ago, G-Tech said:

your not really giving enough info to put a value on it. you listed a couple problems that make it sound like its going to have more issues when you really dig in. what i can tell you is the 280zx is more of the odd ball of z's so they are not all that valuable unless they are turbo models or in really great shape. that particular engine setup has alot going on so figuring out engine issues is tricky.

check underneath, they are very known for floor rot and "frame rails" like to rot from underneath seating area and back towards the rear. also the rear quarter panel at the bottom in front of the wheel also rots. 

i say make sure the body is solid, when you find rust there is usually more and can easily turn into a nightmare, and tell him to get engine fixed. you "might" be ok with $4k if all that checks out.

and also all depends on what you wanna do with it. its a great driver when things are sorted out and has alot of comforts like pwr windows and a/c and pwr steering  . there is not as much aftermarket parts for it as all the other models . 

good luck, let us know what you do   

Thanks for the input. 

I'm really after a fun daily driver for decent weather.  This would fit the bill as long as it ran better and wasn't leaking from the roof.  I may go take another look and then start price negotiations.  

13 hours ago, Miles said:

The car is 35 years old. What is your budget for restoration and repair? Do you have the skills to do the repairs? 

I would like my total invesment to be under $10k. I'm capable of doing most repairs unless it requires specialized tools.  I'm comfortable with anything on the outside of the motor, but any internals i would likely hire out.  

i think you will be in good shape "IF" you make sure those things are good that i mentioned. if it has more rust, which i think you will find it does, or if the engine isnt running right, then its not $4k car in my opinion. and it would have to be tip-top shape to be worth $6k.  like i said, the 280zx is not a very valuable car if its not a turbo model

Edited by G-Tech

Your stated goal is for a driver and not a project car.  So look for a driver that runs and drives reliably. 

If you want a 280zx try to find a cream puff that someone else has put money into. Otherwise you will be buying a money pit. 

If you can't do some of the work yourself,  the project will become very expensive.

Modern mechanics don't know how to work on 38 year old cars.

You may have to travel some to find a 280zx  that requires minimum repair/replacement.    Shipping is an option for out of town cars.