HybridZ

Transmission and engine oil leaks.

I bought my 77 280z a couple of months ago as a first car and I'm still learning more about how cars work. I just got a chance to take a look under it and noticed that the bellhousing is covered in oil as well as the engine oil pan. What could the problem be? I'll attach some photos for reference.

Update: I noticed my valve cover gasket is also leaking. Could this cause this much leakage?

Update 2: So I found a fuel leak from one of the fuel lines, I'm lucky it didn't catch on fire.

I took a closer look at the oil pan and noticed dissolved rubber around the bolts and edges of the oil pan. I'm guessing the previous owner placed gaskets on with the bolts to seal it. I'm guessing the gasoline dissolved the rubber and the bolts were left loose, causing the oil leak.

I cleaned it up and tightened the bolts. I hope this solves my problem.

20180705_180231.thumb.jpg.7e475991b7dac123ffe8f765c905e63c.jpg20180705_180236.thumb.jpg.e96f51be8ec25182efe0f477330f97b1.jpg20180705_180132.thumb.jpg.95bcff31199c5e3dbe22504140a6e5f2.jpg

20180705_180155.jpg

20180705_180205.jpg

20180705_180253.jpg

20180705_180440.jpg

20180705_180103.jpg

20180705_180119.jpg

Edited by smsms
Update 2

Welcome to the forums!

Those pictures are pretty useful in diagnosing.

Well it looks like the oil leak starts up pretty high and is mostly on the passenger side, that would lean towards a leak from the valve cover. Pretty easy to check, just make sure the bolts are hand tight, if they are loose it may just be that if they are already tight then the seal may have work hardened and need replacement.

The oil pan bolts I have found tend to kind of work their way loose over time, that may account for some of the oil leak around the pan. 

Generally the rear main seal seems to be a common culprit, once that leaks it eventually drips down through the weep hole in the bell housing and proceeds to coat the rest of the drive train. 

It really does depend on how long you had the oil leak for. A simple weep from the valve cover can eventually coat the whole engine and trans with air flow and enough time. Best way to diagnose would be to try and clean off the oil and grease and see if you can spot a source.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I think the valve cover gasket may be the main cause for the leak. I wiped it down and let it run for a bit and noticed some oil leaking. It seems like some bolts are too tight.

I'm going to wipe everything clean and change the gasket. Is there any way I can make sure to tighten the valve cover properly, to avoid the same issue?

I'll be sure to tighten the oil pan bolts too.

I really hope it's not the rear main seal. That thing seems like a pain to change.