HybridZ

Reunited after 20 years.....what will happen???

Long story short.

Flashback to 98' when I was 17 years old I bought a stripped down 73 240z from my girlfriends Dad.  The car came with everything even a brand new dashboard(still in the box). While I had it I installed the Nismo 2 way LSD, Tokico struts and I believe Eibach springs....I think sway bars too. The engine bay and interior of the car was painted and as a whole it had ZERO rust.  The project was WAY over my head and I sold it to someone who I worked with.  FFWD to 2012......he reached out asking about the title because somehow we never exchanged that.  So via FB I began to inquire about the car and if he was willing to sell it back.  This took place over a 6 year period and finally he said yes.  I went to look at it on Sunday as I needed to understand what was needed.  Well........not a single thing was done to it.  Half the time it was in a garage and the other half a carport.  I barely got a good look at it since it was absolutely covered, but I took the plunge and made an offer.  I am picking it up on Saturday and I will really be able to get a good look at where rust has developed.  Once I assess it all and lay out all of the parts I will finalize a plan for the restoration/modifications I will determine if it is feasible.  My skill level is there after all these years, cars and finished projects later.

If it doesnt work out I will most likely part out everything.  It is all usable and even has the matching numbers L24.......when I had the car it had 73k original miles on it.

WISH ME LUCK!  

Yes that is little me at 17....

Screenshot_20180715-183104_3.png

Go for it

My story was similar. 28 years in my garage and 3 times mooving (hawy rotted).

2 years of restauration (tons of money in parts) and 2 years of driving I would do it again and i will never sell it. Love to drive it.

I wish you not luck, but a lot of will pation and partner/friends understanding.

• 2 months later...

Pretty cool!  How'd things go when you picked it up?   2012 + 6 years to buy it back is a good 20 years.  A lot can happen in that time, especially the price of parts.  If the body didn't rot out while it was sitting then you should be able to fully restore it.  I'd love to find my 260z from when I was 17, but I'm sure it's long long ago been gone and rusted away, crushed or whatever.   You haven't posted here since July so I'm not sure if you're going to see this, but I'd love to see some "now" picts, since we've seen the "then" picts.    Let us know if you have any questions on where to get the missing parts/repros.

Phar.