HybridZ

All forged pistons floating pin type?

turbogrill

Hi,

I am looking to get forged pistons to my super reliable NA track beater. Are all the forged pistons floating pins?

I would like to avoid floating to make life easy and less stuff that can go wrong:

1. The "clip' might be installed wrong (by me or machine shop)

2. Some uncertainty about what bushing to use or not to use

3. Adding a oil hole to rod seems like more work that can go wrong.

Forged is borderline unnecessary but will give me a piece of mind. My optimal shift point is probably going to be at ~6500 but I want to be able to over rev all the way to 7000 RPM. Reason for this is it can save me a shift, shifting takes time and can upset the car and more stuff to think about (if you are a newb like me).

The intention with the engine is to have something reliable that I can beat on and don't have to rebuild.

Thanks

Usually the Rod small end has to be resized to make them full floating. Even a press fit may require slight honing. I would check with your Piston manufacturer to see if the pins supplied can be press fit.

FWIW. Full floating pins are a well proven design. An oiling hole is no big deal ( I prefer a single hole on top ). Spirolox or Teflon buttons are nearly fool proof. If your machine shop cannot install Spirolox correctly... then should you really be trusting them for other work? It's pretty basic. 

Thanks!

That is useful information! 

Decided to reuse a set of dished pistons with new rings,  will have the shop hone the block.

A little less oomph than with flat tops and earlier shift point but turning this into a budget track beater.

Want to build a nice race engine or turbo at some point in my life, saving the money for that. Those DSI piston and rods looks awesome!

On 8/10/2018 at 3:30 PM, Chickenman said:

then should you really be trusting them for other work? It's pretty basic. 

Well, it's a busy machine shop in Austin. Haven't heard about any screw ups and they have been around forever but my gut feeling says that you shouldn't trust them with specialized non American engine work.