HybridZ

Fj20 rod informatiom

pumpngo

I have searched , but not able to find Fj20 rod widths.

I would like to use them on a l28 rebuild with rb25 or 26 pistons( with re bushed gudeon pin). The length of rod and piston seem ok, and i see many people have used the fj20 rod. But i just want to make sure the width is correct top and bottom. As the fj20 rod will take l series bearings, i would imagine it will work, but would rather confirm from someone that has done it .

It's an attempt to make a long rod motor, as i would be getting rods and pistons anyway. I thought I might as well go for the long rod if not too complicated.

Agree with you, What options do you reccomend?

I was looking for easiest way to get the long 140mm  rod. I don't want to over bore too much as it will be turbo. Straight swap in pistons are hard to find.  Rods seem plentiful, but pistons not so much. If the fj20 rods are straight bolt up,( with possible clearance of block) , that sounds good to me for 140mm. Maybe i should look at custom pistons , but i have no idea of price.

The main thing I'm trying to do is have a tough engine ,good for 7000 rpm long term. I could just go big damper and light flywheel and call it a day , but the long rods should help as well. 

So i'm not building some mega hp monster. I want to be able to give it constant hidings and not be concerned about it blowing. It is an option to just lower rpm but i'd rather not. It will be turbo so the rpm is really just a noise thing it  lets me run a bigger lumpier cam and feel hear the rpm. I know that's a stupid reason to spend extra money and risk engine damage, so i might be changing my mind if the long rod is too expensive.

Thanks for the input and don't worry about offending me , I've grown quite a thick skin. So just tell me if i'm crazy

I would have to see the pistons in person but the rb26 pistons look like you could safely skim the necessary off the top. That is why i'm looking at them. It would also lessen the valve cutout problem . I agree with you though there are better ways , just depends on cost.

s-l1600.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it seems like you're trying to reinvent the wheel here. I understand that sometimes it can be a fun, frustrating, necessary step.

Anyways, what are your goals, and what are you starting with? Block, head, pistons, turbo, engine management, etc.

There is LOTS of info in the FAQs, and you will see that you can go very far with stock components.