HybridZ

Series 1 240z front bumper. Fix it or scap it?

The front bumper that came on my car was beat up pretty bad I was able to hammer out a lot of the big dents and get it as straight as possible however you can still see Hammer marks on the bumper. this will be going on a restored 240 with a new paint job ..I would like the bumper to be in good shape not sure if there is a way to repair this or send to somebody who can do that or is it better to just scrap it and pay the high dollar price for a new front bumper..

20180807_192520.jpg

20180807_192416.jpg

Edited by 5 Star Rising
Added pics

Option 3: Sell it!

That's pretty good condition. Not perfect, but better than what a lot of people are rolling around with.

Option 4: Paint it!

It won't be shiny chrome, but primer can fill in a lot of those imperfections, and then you don't need to worry about chroming anything.

I want to put this ride in a car show next summer. Very few shops where I live. There was one shop but when I called him about it he didn't even want to take a look at the bumper. Are 72 bumpers different? Going to keep an eye out. Maybe try some shops out of town.

I would absolutely rock that. My bumper was in way worse shape than that. I glassed the holes, puttied the dents,  and painted the whole thing with rubberized undercoating. In any case I'm sure you could sell it for more than its worth in scrap. In regard to your question I believe all of the 240z's had pretty much the same bumper. It wasn't until '74 and the 260z that the bulky 5mph bumpers were added. 

Yeah I have 73 240 also and the bracket and mounts are different. That bumper only has one small dent in it, I thought about swapping it out and welding in the brackets to the correct place, but that could be a bit of work and I'm not entirely sure if the actual bumper is the exact same size or not. (The bumper laying on the ground is the one in early pictures up above before I cleaned it up, removed the paint, and hammered out the big dents and creases.

20180626_180407.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dings like that could have been saved if you didn't hammer on it metal to metal.  a rounded wooden dowl would have saved you a lot of headache. You can save that bumper, but it's going to need to be rolled, or tapped a lot to get t straightened.  Becareful if you have to heat it since you can mess up the chrome.  There's a guy in here who was selling polished stainless bumpers, but I dunno if he's still around/got them. .  Ebay might be a source, or if there's a local Z club.