HybridZ
Cable

Returning from the Dead Loyal Z fans...

Welcome back!  What happened to the big-block car?  Sold?  Still running?

This is the first time that I've seen a 5.3 short-block.  To my neophyte eye, it looks like a superb candidate for some very aggressive overboring... like +0.100.  Unfortunately, even a cursory internet search reveals that the 5.3 is evidently not friendly to large overbores.  Oh well.

Strange, isn't it, that there's such surfeit of 5.3s, but relatively fewer LS-series engines of larger displacement?  I wonder why that is. 

Just now, Michael said:

Welcome back!  What happened to the big-block car?  Sold?  Still running?

This is the first time that I've seen a 5.3 short-block.  To my neophyte eye, it looks like a superb candidate for some very aggressive overboring... like +0.100.  Unfortunately, even a cursory internet search reveals that the 5.3 is evidently not friendly to large overbores.  Oh well.

Strange, isn't it, that there's such surfeit of 5.3s, but relatively fewer LS-series engines of larger displacement?  I wonder why that is. 

Sold the big block car in August of 2008. Still friends with the current owner.

Bought and built another S30 in 2009 (6.0 LS with a 4L65e), sold it in 2011 and that car is now back in Japan.

Every 4.8/5.3 block, iron or aluminum can go .120" overbore to stock 5.7 LS1 bore. I would rather have the uber thick cylinder walls instead of a bit of displacement, especially since I am going to boost the shit out of it.

From 1999-2013 the 5.3 was built 2.5 times over every other LS (4.8/5.7/6.0/6.2/7.0) combined. So they aren't rare in the slightest. 

3 hours ago, Michael said:

When you remove that much structure in the floorboards/rear, do you need to brace the remainder with temporarily welded cross-members?

The quarters seemed fine. We placed the body on rollers supporting the rear body and under the floor. Nissan built these bodies pretty stout.