HybridZ

RWB Jeff - 1970 Datsun 240z - Build

Hello all, my name is Jeff. I am from Kitchener Ontario Canada.

A few months back I picked up myself a 1970 Datsun 240z which I am doing a full build....not restoration. I know this forum is quite friendly to modifications. I am trying to build this on my own with the help from some very talented friends. I have some experience building my 640HP RWB Kitchener Porsche (IG rwb_kitchener) and really wanted to extend my basic skills. I did not do all the work.

Edited-3.thumb.jpg.89eb44b3ced6dfb8c5cef0e742a5844f.jpg

So far I have the Datsun stripped to a bare chassis. I have also built a rotisserie for it (my very first time welding, it went well). That will be my next video.

I have started a youtube channel called RWB Jeff where I am documenting this build. I hope you can take a look....a few of my videos are rough but I am improving.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The car will be built mostly out of carbon fiber. I have ordered all my carbon from Retrospec, hood, fenders, buckets, wing, hatch,..... and they are working on a set of doors for me as well.

I will be producing a full carbon fiber widebody kit for the Z. I am doing this over the winter months and will document it as well. Below is a rendering from jonsibal, an amazing rendering artist. This is not exactly what I am doing. Once I reveal the crazzzy motor we are putting into the car...I will release our rendering as it takes styling cues from the car the motor comes from.

32369996_1805380056433488_2049834289465393152_n.jpg.3a3d0021e0570c8bb147ee4d1c6dca19.jpg

I am always looking for feedback, as most of you have been through anything and everything when it comes to modifying the Datsun's. If possible, please "subscribe" to the channel and laugh along with me as I learn many new skills building one amazing dream car.

Thanks

Jeff

You were with the boosted shades guys pretty recently right?

Very cool to see you come into our world.

Hmm retrospec is known to be problematic for one or two pieces, ordering all those pieces you may have quite the wait, I would suggest staying on top of them or not being afraid to break it up so you get your parts on time. Additionally it seems they use carbon top layers on some of their parts so not really full carbon. It also seems they just leave the gel coat and don't clear over it, so it will do the notorious carbon fade/peel after time spent in the sun. Might be something to keep in mind for the price you are probably paying.

street bandito has a pretty good build in the carbon department and has some good reviews on their products. 

Mark also has an awesome build with a predominantly carbon chassis.

That was me with Team boosted. Devan and JP are great dudes. I plan on doing a trip from Canada to visit them with the Datsun when its done. I am subscribed to Street Banditos...great content. I know all the pitfalls with Retro spec..... i am ok to wait. We have a ton to do before hand. I am thinking of trying to do the same as Street banditos for the rest of the car.... There are a few local people who could help me make it right.

In regards to the carbon, i will be painting all the pieces...so it will be sanded down. There is a chance i may do a matte finish like the Street Banditos...... some of my friends are trying to convince me.

I will be posting my first true rendering tomorrow. You guys will be the first to see it......

Well you just dove right in, didn't you?

I look forward to following the build. Expect set backs, plan to fail. And then use those setbacks and failures to make improvements and refine the journey to the end goal.

Overall I'm pretty jealous of the state of the chassis. I used to think my 280Z was too far gone to care about making perfect again, but as I watch people like HomeBuiltByJeff I realize I'm quite fortunate, and your's is nearly perfect!

Now go make purists angry. :2thumbs:

Oh wow, this is gonna get interesting. I'll be curious how this build pans out. There's so many points of escalation at that power level and there's never a clear path forward that others have paved. How much tire is right for the goals? What compound to use? How to handle the rear end setup to actually hook up that much power? What's the right amount of brakes?

None of those could I answer for anyone choosing that motor. Best of luck and I'll be following closely. :2thumbs:

The purists are gonna love you. :lol:

Thank you guys......I still have a ton to think about. I had a clear path when i was thinking 2JZ or RB26. Such as full techno toy tuning, R200 diff...basically like everyone has done already. Nothing wrong as i just love the banging and popping from those engines. I truly just wanted to be different.

I will most likely be using Willwood 4 or 6 pots in the front and 4 pots in the rear.

Here is another update rendering.....i want the side shots of my kit to be more finished before i post those.....

318C41CF-7914-452F-B552-0F8B9181116F.jpeg

Edited by 240zJJR

I love the fact that you've left the front bumper on it as a visual break point for the grill.  When the grill is fully exposed it just feels out of proportion to me.  I also like how you've pulled the lower lip of the front spoiler under instead of forward.  Following the wheel arch line just makes the whole thing flow very nicely.  I would actually prefer it without the splitter, but that's just my taste and I realize that it's probably quite functional.  Looking forward to seeing the side view(s).

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

I love the fact that you've left the front bumper on it as a visual break point for the grill.  When the grill is fully exposed it just feels out of proportion to me.  I also like how you've pulled the lower lip of the front spoiler under instead of forward.  Following the wheel arch line just makes the whole thing flow very nicely.  I would actually prefer it without the splitter, but that's just my taste and I realize that it's probably quite functional.  Looking forward to seeing the side view(s).

Thank you. I think the front bumper is really needed as well. If you look at the Dodge Demon/ Hellcat front end. We take some of the styling cues and incorporate them. I will also be adding a few subtle Hellcat/Demon things throughout the car. Instead of a 240z badge behind the drivers and passenger window. It will be a Satin black Hellcat badge. The cage will have Hell-Z inscribed where the bars cross.

Motor has been ordered yesterday as well. So 2-3 weeks to my door. And then the fun begins. All our measurements say it will fit...but i know there will be obstacles. I am quite positive the tunnel will need to be cut and raised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 5:11 AM, Max_S said:

Loving the idea (and the renderings), really wish something like that would be legal over here.
Curious to see how it pans out.
Are you going to try and squeeze in Dodge interior bits too, or sticking with Datsun?

Max

Hi Max, The interior will be shaved with full cage. Will be making floor matts that are gussetted. Not sure if i will go withCarbon door panels or do a RS style door card like my RWB.

I will be posting the Dry ice video next week. Car is back from sandblasters and off to Painters to get primed.

Should start on motor fitment next week.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 1:11 PM, Gollum said:

Well you just dove right in, didn't you?

Well said I remember when I first started out about early 2000's when a l28et swap was sort of a big deal. There was also way less products out there *motor mount kits, suspension, drive train, and brake choices . Not to mention all the carbon fiber and exterior body panels. The bar is so high right now haha I love it lots of content and new ideas/builds.

Street banditos is probably my favorite you tube Channel. The editing, the build and especially the chemistry of that shop very cool. I feel like they should be 1mil subscribers very under rated on YouTube. Team Boosted is another channel I follow good to see them moving up! You got my sub Jeff on youtube and facebook like!

I am in Ontario, Ottawa to be specific would love to see this thing when its done! Goodluck

Hussein

On 10/13/2018 at 3:30 AM, softopz said:

Well said I remember when I first started out about early 2000's when a l28et swap was sort of a big deal. There was also way less products out there *motor mount kits, suspension, drive train, and brake choices . Not to mention all the carbon fiber and exterior body panels. The bar is so high right now haha I love it lots of content and new ideas/builds.

Street banditos is probably my favorite you tube Channel. The editing, the build and especially the chemistry of that shop very cool. I feel like they should be 1mil subscribers very under rated on YouTube. Team Boosted is another channel I follow good to see them moving up! You got my sub Jeff on youtube and facebook like!

I am in Ontario, Ottawa to be specific would love to see this thing when its done! Goodluck

Hussein

Hussein,

I love Street Banditos....great channel (the editing is top notch). My boys at Team Boosted.... Devan and JP are awesome dudes (The Datsun will be down in San Diego when finished with Team Boosted). I may be hitting Sema up with them this year (working logistics). I will be there for sure. I want to check out the Bisforbuild car done by Chris.

This youtube thing is not easy by any means..... I only work on the build in spare time and filming and editing just consumes so much of my time. I am really enjoying the process and learning along the way. My introduction video will be released in a few weeks....should be awesome. I have my good buddy Andrew from Diesel Media doing a cinematic intro video of Hell-Z. 

I am in Ottawa area a few times a year....one of my favorite places to visit.

Jeff