HybridZ

Thoughts on this s30 project

inis

Hello everyone, new to the forum. Long time car enthusiast however last 5 years I have focused on my family specifically with my mom being very ill. Time to get back into something. Alittle about me: I love old and new, I have a 2000 zx2 s/r that is build (dry sump, turbo, megasquirt..etc), two 1955 chevy belairs, one restored other needs restored, 1949 chevy 3100 5 window that needs restored is intended for a patina build. For years I've been in love with early 240/260z's. I came acrossed a turbo v8 240z in San Francisco years ago for 15k and almost jumped on it. By the time I did it was long gone. Since I have searched for my own 240z

Now to my current situation: Three days ago on the way home from our baby shower in middle of no where we came acrossed a 240z for sale. At first it looked horrible, however apon closer inspection actually looks mostly rust free other than some really common spots.. Some of the interior is missing, engine bay looks mostly intact. I wanted a 2nd opinion on value. He was originally at 2300, then 1500. I was going to offer 800-1k.

The passenger side looks much better, drivers side fender looks like someone did something to it. From what I can tell, it had a nice paint job and then someone did something to it or the painted over a good paint job. Hard to tell but in certain areas you can see nice paint underneath. Its very layered. I believe someone was doing the patina look. Front end looks like it hit a stump lower valence is gone, bumper is bent in and hoot has a small dent. No core damage.

Thoughts on this? 

This would a LS2 swap, t56, megasquirt car done up for drag week. Not looking to do a full restoration, although maybe down the line a paint job.

853429805_20180901_171221fixed.thumb.jpg.d2cd8c978da6b07de9645103a5d9c31d.jpg923503519_20180901_171215fixed.thumb.jpg.171f7302ead60deb9323377d2ed6bde2.jpg20180901_171202.thumb.jpg.d9bc42a6638626923065499256e9918a.jpg project. 

Edited by inis

7 minutes ago, bunkhouse said:

The price is excellent. Check it inside and out for rust. Rocker panels, under the battery, floors, frame rails, sill panel under the hatch, just to name a few. A paint job would turn that ugly duckling into a swan.

Thanks. I checked a few of those areas. Far as I can tell it might of been garage kept. This was in the middle of no where kansas, has to be either a barn or garage or the thing would be rusted away. I checked around the hatch and didn't see any. Both rockers look sketchy, I can weld so not entirely worried about it. My big concern is mud, however with the weird paint scheme i can't tell whats going on. I figured I would 300 grit wet sand the whole care to start with and see what comes up. Do they make replacement rockers for these cars? I can tig weld no problem.

Carpet was out of the interior, floor looked great. Still had paint on it. I think its a win win, even if i didn't do anything with it I believe I could recoup my money. I believe most of the work is the front end and drivers fender, then restoration of the interior. From what I can find the entire interior can be easily bought.

Just called the owner, its a 73. He said he has the title to it however someone stole the dash vin tag. I believe it is still tag able in kansas because they'll look for vin's in different locations, he does have the title for it. I offered him 800 over the phone and he took it. Looks like I will be picking it up this week sometime. He stated its been outside for some years now, but he didn't know how long exactly.

Even if it needs new floor boards. Even if it needs new rockers. Even if it needs replaced faux-rails. Even if it has no interior.

...This day in age. That's a steel. I got into these cars because they were cheap, but those days have sailed. Overall though, I think with some elbow grease that thin will turn out better off than many I've seen being daily driven!

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Even if it needs new floor boards. Even if it needs new rockers. Even if it needs replaced faux-rails. Even if it has no interior.

...This day in age. That's a steel. I got into these cars because they were cheap, but those days have sailed. Overall though, I think with some elbow grease that thin will turn out better off than many I've seen being daily driven!

I agree, many things have come and went that were once cheap. I'll get to check it out more this thur or fri, haven't set a date on when to pick it up. I'll post alot more pictures when I get it in my driveway.

3 hours ago, inis said:

yeah I'll send that memo to my wife.

We just bought a new lazy boy recliner for $800. In 1 year, heck, 1day it is worth less. You could easily take that car and turn it into $15k! Were not doing that with any of her crap!

Run that hat buy her and see what she says!  

Heck, spend $100 on primer, get it running with maybe $1000 in parts, clean it and list it for $6k. Z cars have hit crazy prices. I have some original 73 steel rims that will go great with it!

Edited by JSM

2 minutes ago, inis said:

I agree, many things have come and went that were once cheap. I'll get to check it out more this thur or fri, haven't set a date on when to pick it up. I'll post alot more pictures when I get it in my driveway.

Have you gave him the cash at least? If not, do it sooner than later. People can change their minds. 

6 hours ago, JSM said:

We just bought a new lazy boy recliner for $800. In 1 year, heck, 1day it is worth less. You could easily take that car and turn it into $15k! Were not doing that with any of her crap!

Run that hat buy her and see what she says!  

Heck, spend $100 on primer, get it running with maybe $1000 in parts, clean it and list it for $6k. Z cars have hit crazy prices. I have some original 73 steel rims that will go great with it!

I've noticed. Although I will see if the stock engine runs for giggles its going straight to a LS engine. When I discussed this with the wife she said she really didn't care as long as I didn't take away from the savings. ❤️ I told her I would get rid of the ranger and 49' 5 window for this. 

6 hours ago, JSM said:

Have you gave him the cash at least? If not, do it sooner than later. People can change their minds. 

Its literally in the middle of no where, sounded like a old guy. I'm to far to drive for a deposit. Funday Friday, can't wait!

• Like 1

Do they front frame and walls? At the car now although it looks straight the front end has been hopped.  Driver's side buckled at the firewall and lower rail by the rear a arm mount. Pass side below the structure tower. Looks like it's been pulled out. Interior has 4" poop. From under it looks like rotted pans and rockets. Rear end looks great. Rear wells look bubbling possible previous bondo.