HybridZ

I was cleaning out the inside of my car took off the seats checking for rust and as I was doing so I found on top of the floor pans there was hard rubber that seems to be stuck on top of my floor pans and in certain spots at the edges you could see small rust spots. My question is should I rip off this rubber to get to the floor pans to see if there’s any more damage? I posted soon pics  and I put a screwdriver parsley underneath the rubber to show what I’m talking about — At  first I thought it was the metal until I found out that it’s molded on top off the floor pan kind of like a sticker 

CB3A21B7-4EF1-4157-B8D3-C058CB9289F8.jpeg

DB4EBEAD-FA65-4C01-B185-F86FEA2628D5.jpeg

5 hours ago, BJSZED said:

All the spots that look lumpy are likely rust bubbling up, pushing up the surface of the mat. Sometimes if you push on the bumps it sounds crunchy. I would remove it so you know what you have.

OK I will add this onto another step that I have to do , Thank you for the info hopefully there’s not any bad rust where I have to replace the floorplans

17 hours ago, bunkhouse said:

The tar mat ("rubber") that has rust around the edges typically has rust under it too. You'll find many places that the mat didn't adhere to the sheet metal. Those air pockets allow surface rust to form on the bare sheet metal.

I can’t catch a break 😅 ok I will rip it off and hunt some rust 

5 hours ago, bunkhouse said:

The same problem exists on the underside with the undercoating. Air pockets that allow surface rust. Both surfaces (inside and out) need to be cleared of rust. Hopefully you won't find any spots that have rusted thru the sheet metal.

Good thought I will do my due diligence checking 

On 9/12/2018 at 4:37 PM, DUDE said:

Good idea but was told the undercoat would conceal it 

True, but there's the factory painted-over sound deadening that you're describing to deal with on the inside. I figure you can be less delicate on the underside, and since the undercoating is not factory, it may come off more easily.

51 minutes ago, bradyzq said:

True, but there's the factory painted-over sound deadening that you're describing to deal with on the inside. I figure you can be less delicate on the underside, and since the undercoating is not factory, it may come off more easily.

Ok thanks for input 👍🏼