HybridZ

Budget build ZX

Tonyorlo

I just looked through your thread the other day, I don’t know why I asked for pictures lol. I guess there is no deflection with them stretched like that. 

Id like the look of a wider tire all the way around if I can. Like a 245. This car will be a daily driver so traction for a racing application isn’t so important. So a 245/55/15?

The price of those wheels is hard to beat, do they all have the yellow stripe on the edge of the rim? 

Edited by Tonyorlo

2 hours ago, Tonyorlo said:

I just looked through your thread the other day, I don’t know why I asked for pictures lol. I guess there is no deflection with them stretched like that. 

Id like the look of a wider tire all the way around if I can. Like a 245. This car will be a daily driver so traction for a racing application isn’t so important. So a 245/55/15?

The price of those wheels is hard to beat, do they all have the yellow stripe on the edge of the rim? 

Not sure, mine had. Send them an email, they helped me with questions.

I ordered from speedwaymotors.com, I would email them as well to make sure you get the correct wheel. Can't remember if I had to pay shipping. Summit racing doesn't have shipping but they don't sell them I think,

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda figured it was something like that. I also am worried about the fitment, Ive dealt with fiberglass panels and they are always a pain. I will just stick with patching my current ones.

Man the options for parts for these cars sucks. Like Valances and air dams, there is really is not too many options. The best looking ones are old jdm ones that are impossible to find and cost a ton.

So This topic seems to be beaten to death, but how do I want to lower this car? I think 1-1.5” would be plenty, especially in my area where the roads aren’t the greatest. 

I really don’t want to go with a real small tire just to lower the car. 

Im going to order the wheels for it this week. I have found a guy somewhat local with a ton of parts. Hopefully I can score most of the sheet metal. 

Ok, I’ve seen their kits. They will work with stock struts? 

Also, I’m going to order busings for the entire suspension, polyurethanes the best thing to use for these cars? I’ve had luck with them on my other vehicles. Is there a way to tell my front sway bar dia? I see there’s a 22 or a 23 option for bushings. Rust can make that hard to measure, do N/A card have the smaller one and turbos the larger? 

The little blower on the RH side of the engine, does that just blow air to cool the injectors?

i believe you can keep stock struts. id call and ask 1st. most people like i did get a set of tokico shocks and struts. the front is a bit interesting, the strut casing and spindle is 1 unit. if your shocks have never been replaced in the front, then you actually gut the strut casing and slide a new shock in the tube. not a bad job, just strange. yeah, poly bushings are a nice upgrade. makes things a lil stiffer but it will handle better. while your at it, replace balljoints and tie rod ends. if wheel bearings are not making noise then you can skip that but that would be about all thats left to say you rebuilt the whole bottom end of the car. not sure on sway bar dia., got rid of my stock one long time ago. id call motorsport auto about using the stock strut and shocks and see what they know about the sway bar. they are not the cheapest place usually but they have lots of info.

and yes, that motor is simply to blow air onto the intake, funny huh...im guessing they had a reason...

Is MSA the best place to purchase the coils from? The car has newer struts on it, so I hate to replace them but if I have to then so be it I guess. I have not really price shopped for these parts yet. 

My plan is to replace inner and outter tie rod ends, as well as the ball joints. I didn’t plan on Wheel bearings unless it needed them, but if I am going this far why not. 

This is not my car, it came across on a google search. This is the ride height and stance I want to achieve. 

013A7A25-A2E4-4823-A14E-7D7FCD66B779.jpeg

yes they are the best place to buy them from. if you spend some time looking, you might find them cheaper but msa is the best if you just wanna make sure your getting the right thing. before you buy inner tie rods, look into what it takes to change that. i just did outers. and dont bother with wheel bearings unless they are bad. if you ever do front brake rotors, you will have to change them then and doing the rear wheel bearings involve pulling the stub-axles out. the pic looks like what you should end up with with eibach coils. there is only 1" drop coils for sale and thats it, anything more and your getting into coilovers.

I really like that ride height, still driveable. Do you know what size tires you ran in those pictures? 

Just thinking, can you run a little more backspacing on the rear without rolling the quarter? 

I like the headlight covers, it looks like yours were just smoked and not blacked out? 

Headlight cover are just regular tinted ones. Tires were stock size. You can go lil more offset. I have 17x8 0-offset on the rear now with 235's. Stock 14's are only 6" wide, I wouldn't go more then a 225 but I've seen people do things I wouldn't 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m still gathering parts. I am looking at the options to lower the car. I was considering a s14 coil over conversion but I think it will end up costing more than I currently want to spend. 

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/280zx-coilover-conversion/products/coilover-conversion-kit-280zx-front-only

What about this kit? Would I have to buy a s14 coil over for the rear still?