HybridZ

Pandem/Rocket Bunny Kit

Ironhead

Has anyone here had any experience with the Pandem/Rocket bunny flares/body kit for the S30?

I am not so much asking about the styling, I know it is kind of controversial (I actually think it looks OK).  I am just in need of some sort of wide flares pretty soon and am considering this kit.  I don't think most of the more subtle flares will work in my case as I am using 315 wide tires in back and 275s in front.

I am wondering about the kit's basic quality, fit, etc....if anyone has any experience or input.

Thanks.

Edited by Ironhead

5 hours ago, Neverdone said:

Will the Wide ZG Flares not add enough?

https://retro-spec.myshopify.com/products/datsun-280z-260z-240z-wide-zg-fender-flares

I know a handful of guys on here are running those BAMF flares and they've got some pretty tires too.

It would probably be cheaper than anything Rocket Bunny is offering.

Thanks Never...

I have also been considering Retro Spec...and ZTrix too.  I guess more than anything I am looking for opinions of these flares from guys who have installed them.  All of these parts are fairly expensive, and it's hard to get much of a quality assessment from internet pictures.

I have the front wedge shaped bumper in fiberglass from the Pandem kit that I ordered through Greddy.com. It was not the greatest constructed piece, but I contacted Greddy who also sent my supplied pics to Pandem who made good with a whole new one shipped for free. I was not expecting that nor did I push for that extreme result. The new one was of better build quality, but a little thin on the under side V/wedge area. I have to customize it to fit the rest of another front end wide body kit from Ztrix. 

I also have a full "Subtle Z" kit from Ztrix.com that increases width 1.5" over stock. Since having the kit blended on to the rear quarter panels, I decided to go wider rear and ordered the "YZ" quarter panels that offer 3" over stock width and allow a 12" wide rim to fit. There was some small fitment work required to get the Subtle Z kit to fit as to be expected with fiberglass and I suspect the new YZ rears will require some as well. John Washington of Ztrix is a stand up guy with very good communication and willingness to do right by you, I can't state that enough....

Here are some pics of my car project with the subtle Z kit, subtle front and rear YZ taped on for a quick visual and lastly the front bumper from the Rocket Bunny kit which will require work to fit my front. Hope some of that helps..... 

IMG_20150714_182024162_HDR_IRFV.jpg

IMG_20150714_182040490_HDR_IRFV.jpg

P1030011_IRFV.jpg

P1030012_IRFV.jpg

P1030273_IRFV.jpg

P1030278_IRFV.jpg

P1030275_IRFV.jpg

P1030276_IRFV.jpg

P1030277_IRFV.jpg

P1030411_IRFV.jpg

P1030561_IRFV.jpg

P1030568_IRFV.jpg

P1030569_IRFV.jpg

P1030571_IRFV.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

Thanks Nelson, that is very helpful...

I keep going back and forth.  I was thinking for a while I was going to use the YZ kit, but then kind of swung toward the Rocket Bunny just because it uses less fiberglass and is more of a "minimalist" approach.

So...I dunno...but I am going to have to make a decision pretty soon.  

I think both kit options offer a simple bolt on option with dzus fasteners or traditional bolts. For me I am trying my hardest to make it as visually smooth and slippery a surface as I can by removing door handles, locks, C pillar vent hole and logo trim and blending the front head light buckets with the fenders and lastly the rear three piece spoiler into the rear quarter panel. The only exception of trimming and removing would be retaining the rain gutters for potentially utilizing surf board racks in-case my intended fuel cell and door cover take up too much of the rear cargo area. I want it to look as if it could have come from the factory very streamlined that way.

Neither option is cheap and both will require some finessing but both will allow for wider wheels, grip and some individuality of your car. Good luck either way and let us know what option you end up choosing.

1 hour ago, Nelsonian said:

The only exception of trimming and removing would be retaining the rain gutters for potentially utilizing surf board racks in-case my intended fuel cell and door cover take up too much of the rear cargo area. I want it to look as if it could have come from the factory very streamlined that way.

In my case, I have found the fuel cell mount, cover, plumbing, etc have taken up most of the rear cargo area.  I thought I was still going to be able to get a full sized battery back there....but since a lead acid battery requires a "housing" of its own....there is not enough room.  So I am committed to using a lithium battery, even though I didn't want to go that route.  My fuel cell could have been lowered or shifted a bit to leave more room....but that would have brought about different challenges.  At the end of the day, these are just very small cars, at least by today's standards.

Putting fuel cells into the rear cargo area is fairly common but i think is a terrible idea from several aspects. My fuel cell is slung under the floor supported by two home made straps, the only problem with that idea is it interferes with any future diffuser. Because race car.

On 9/20/2018 at 11:30 PM, 260DET said:

Putting fuel cells into the rear cargo area is fairly common but i think is a terrible idea from several aspects. My fuel cell is slung under the floor supported by two home made straps, the only problem with that idea is it interferes with any future diffuser. Because race car.

The biggest problem as I see it is that the cell is in the rear crumple zone of the car.  But so was the stock tank, and so is your cell under the floor.  Most newer cars put the fuel supply over the rear axle/under the rear seat area, so it is protected by the rear subframe in a side impact and is out of the rear crumple zone.  But this is all but impossible in the Z.

Many have scoffed at the steel frame structure I enclosed my cell within, and it is heavier than absolutely necessary to support the cell.  But the goal was to have a degree of crush protection.

As I see it, the only advantage to installing the cell under the floor as you describe is to have a layer of sheet metal between you and the cell in the event of a rupture.  But constructing a sheet metal enclosure around the cell (as required by every racing organizer I know of) more or less accomplishes the same thing.

There is no perfect solution, unfortunately.

The race rules for my Z require a barrier between the cell and the driver, which does not have to be an enclosure if the cell is under the floor. My cell is foam filled to retard any fire or explosion and the tank is liable to shear away if it got a really big hit. Other than safety the big thing to me is the influence of fuel weight on the C of G, I'm anal about mounting components as low as possible, circuit car of course.

7 hours ago, 260DET said:

The race rules for my Z require a barrier between the cell and the driver, which does not have to be an enclosure if the cell is under the floor. My cell is foam filled to retard any fire or explosion and the tank is liable to shear away if it got a really big hit. Other than safety the big thing to me is the influence of fuel weight on the C of G, I'm anal about mounting components as low as possible, circuit car of course.

Yeah...I put mine up a couple of inches higher than ideal....to leave room for exhaust.  I quickly found that everything is a compromise.

Edited by Ironhead

• 2 months later...

https://www.cyriousgarageworks.com/2017/09/06/rocket-bunny-240z-a-modern-classic/4/   This video shows a garage restoring a 240z and

using a Rocket Bunny Body Kit.   It has a very detailed and well done metal work.  I also am deciding on what flares or body kit to use on my Z.

Going to Japan for vacation so I plan to check if they have anything new over there.  The first weekend of December there is a two day car show in

Yokohama but I will miss it.   There are a lot of Chinese copy cat Rocket Bunny kits on the market so beware.   Japan has better fitting flares and

body kits but are usually the most expensive too.

Toolman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...