HybridZ

Driveshaft is Stuck Good

Exile

Right, so me and my buddies have been trying for 6 hours to remove this damn driveshaft off my 1977 280z coupe.  The nuts are stuck on there good.  We went so far as getting a wrench on there and turning on the car and running it such as to try to knock a nut loose by engine torque (yes, I know this was probably one of the dumbest things we could have done, but we needed results).  Ended up wrapping a wrench around the driveshaft (not even exaggerating).  The only thing we haven't yet done is heating up the nuts with a torch, but with all the other things we've done, I get the impression even that won't have promising results, so if anyone knows anything about this, what is a good, safe way to remove the driveshaft?  Our next step, if that doesn't work, is to just dremel the nuts/heads off of the flange and go from there.  I don't even mind if, at this point, I'd have to buy a new driveshaft (probably not a bad idea anyhow, what with the above mentioned shitshow), but I have heard the U-joints are a pain in the ass to find.  If anyone has any advice at all, it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Exile

Put a proper sized wrench on one of the nuts and a screwdriver or other thin rod through the u-joint yoke.  Position them so that you can wrap a hand or hands around both at the same time.  Squeeze really hard.  Use a large pair of pliers if you can't squeeze hard enough.  Make sure that you're turning the nuts the correct way. 

Easy to get mixed up under there.  They do tend to be tight and difficult to remove.

No offense....but yes, trying to run the engine with a wrench on the driveshaft is pretty dumb.

If the nuts are frozen/rusted on, heat and penetrating oil are typically best way to free them up.  It may take a couple days for the oil to soak in and free them up.  Other than that, cutting or grinding them may be your only option.  If you decide you need a new driveshaft, I have one from a 1973 4-speed in really nice shape for sale.

Good luck with it.

Stop doing weird stuff to your car.  Reminds me of aliens probing an abductee.

You could try removing the front differential support which would allow the differential to droop. That might open up enough space to get a good bite on the bolt.

Or you could place a wrench on the bolt, turn the driveshaft so the wrench is against the body, put pry bar in the U-joint and then turn the driveshaft with the pry bar.

In an absolute worse case, you could pull the differential and driveshaft out as a unit and then remove the bolts.

6 hours ago, NewZed said:

Put a proper sized wrench on one of the nuts and a screwdriver or other thin rod through the u-joint yoke.  Position them so that you can wrap a hand or hands around both at the same time.  Squeeze really hard.  Use a large pair of pliers if you can't squeeze hard enough.  Make sure that you're turning the nuts the correct way. 

Easy to get mixed up under there.  They do tend to be tight and difficult to remove.

^ This  but before this heat up the nuts with Map gas (the yellow can) several times each and cool with penetrating fluid, yes there may be a small amount of flame but it only lasts a couple of seconds and you can blow it out easily.  I find that heat is the only thing to break that bond.

Just remembered that I've used the original impact method when removing them in the wrecking yard.  A small sledge, like a 3 lb'er, on a box end wrench.  Once they break free they're easy.

Edit 2 - and there's a lot of room to swing under there.  Set it up, aim carefully, nail it with the hammer.  It will probably move.

Edit - actually it might have been my garage.  I don't think I'd carry a 3 lb sledge in to a wrecking yard.  Too heavy.

Edited by NewZed

ANother Way I've got those stupid nuts loose was to wedge the tire iron in the Ujoint, and the other end up on a block to hold the drive shaft from turning.  Then put a box end wrench on the nut, and use a jack on the other end of the wrench to turn the nut.  The nuts will just pop loose and you can then get a rachet on them. Make sure you're turning the right direction!  All this or a decent impact wrench and an extension will also pop them loose if you can get on it. you might have to pull the shaft from the tranny  to do that, and that's really hard with the Diff still connected.   The Ujoints aren't that hard to find. They ARE user serviceable, but any drive shaft shop should be able to do that job for you easier.  I seem to remember it was a pain to pull the cups

Sweet, I guess I've got some options now.  Unfortunately, using heat might not really be an option for me (in the military and still live in the shitty junior enlisted dorms.  No flammable shit allowed, much less a blowtorch), but I do appreciate all of the other suggestions.  It completely didn't occur to me to put something through the u-joint, so... my bad.  I'm gonna try to get at it again this next weekend.