HybridZ

Do you need to fabricate trans mounts in 240 if running l28et, borg Warner t5 out of 280zx and r200 out of 280z

chopkins12

Trying to put all parts into a 71' 240z. I am looking at running a l28et with a t5 out of a 280zx turbo and then an r200 diff out of a 280z, will I need to modify the trans mounts to run the t5 still? Also will I want the driveshaft out of the 280z or the 280zx turbo? I am trying to setup something with the least amount of fabrication required. 

For my 280Z, with L28ET and T5, I managed to find a transmission crossmember that almost lined up with the T5 transmission mount.  I don't remember which Z or ZX it came from.  I still had to slot the ears of the T5 to get it to fit.  I don't know about a factory driveshaft, I had a custom one made for about $250.

4 hours ago, chopkins12 said:

Trying to put all parts into a 71' 240z. I am looking at running a l28et with a t5 out of a 280zx turbo and then an r200 diff out of a 280z, will I need to modify the trans mounts to run the t5 still? Also will I want the driveshaft out of the 280z or the 280zx turbo? I am trying to setup something with the least amount of fabrication required. 

You'll need an R200 mustache bar and cross brace to replace your R180.  The T5 needs some custom work as Sleeper noted.  The propeller shaft from the ZX won't swap over and your 240Z one won't work, you'll need a custom length.  The T5 doesn't really offer much more than a stock 5 speed.  "T5" is a name for hundreds of different types of Borg Warner transmissions.  It doesn't mean super-strong.

The T5 swap is where the fabrication and cost is.  Find a 71B 5 speed and the swap will be bolt on/straight swap parts, no fab required.  Many people use the 71B behind the turbo engines.

2 hours ago, chopkins12 said:

Arr you running the r200 in your 280?

Yes, 3.54 R200.  The 280ZXT T5 is more difficult to install than the Nissan unit, and I know lots of people have had great success with the Nissan unit, but I didn't have one.  I like the way the T5 shifts, especially with the Mustang aftermarket short shifter with the hard stops, and I know it handles 400ft-lbs and 11 second 1/4 mile times reliably.

Edited by SleeperZ

Yeah I know the Nissan 5 speed bolts in but the car I am buying can come with a t5 or a 4 speed. I read that the only cutting and welding would be redoing the trans mount and where the shifter goes and then shortening the driveshaft, is that true? For the diff, if I get all parts needed from the zxt I should be fine correct? 

As I said above, I have not had to modify the trans mount, just slot the T5 mounting ears, and it bolts in.  There are several trans cross members out there that bolt in, at least on a 280Z, of course the 240Z is probably different.  You can run a shortened version of the 280ZXT driveshaft, I've got a 280ZXT rear diff as well, but the input flanges on the R200 can be swapped out if you want to run a 3.54 from a 280Z.

Edited by SleeperZ

If you run the T-5 you will need the dedicated driveshaft . The DS will have to be shortened at least an inch, I would recommend a custom shaft . Z car depot sells the correct yoke. If you have a custom shaft made you can put whatever flange on that works with the diff you choose. The flange on the ZXT diff matches the T- 5 only.

The T-5 shifter mounts further forward so you have to cut your tunnel and maybe modify your center console. 

Like stated , the shifter chooses are plenty. And these trans shifts very nicely , precise notchyness . 

Another bonus is you can upgrade later for bigger HP. World Class bits can be swapped in for a small fortune , but it will be good for 600+ HP.

Gearing is to ones taste. I like the wide ratio for third gear , but I’m running 3:90 in the back. Makes for a nice passing gear . I can 90+ mph out of third. 

2 hours ago, chopkins12 said:

For the diff, if I get all parts needed from the zxt I should be fine correct? 

No.  ZX's don't have mustache bars.  The R180 mustache bar is different from the R200 mustache bar.

It's possible to stretch and oblongate and torque and pry a variety of parts in.  Get the parts and start installing.  That's what most do.  There's always some part you'll have missed or some modification you'll need to do.

Good luck.  Don't forget the speedo gear.

Ok I will try to get the mustache bar off of the 280z and the diff trans and ds out of the zxt. I planned on having the DS shortened at a shop near me. Hopefully I will just have to slot the trans mount, that will be way less work. Thanks for the input everyone.